Jira subversion plugin showing deleted commits

Paul Jones April 15, 2013

Recently set up Jira and installed the subversion plugin to link to our svn server. We did some test commits to a freshly create repo/directory, made sure they came through in Jira, then removed the directory from the svn server.

In the subversion tab for the issue that we tested the commits with, we can still see the deleted commits. I've deleted the atlassian-subversions-revisions directory and restarted Jira to reindex, but the commits are still showing.

So... are these held somewhere else in Jira that I need to clear out to stop them showing, or is this an svn thing where they've not actually been deleted and Jira can still see them?

Obviously not a massive problem - it only affects a couple of issues on one project, but Jira's new and clean at the moment and I'd like to keep it that way!

Thanks,

Paul

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2013

Hi Paul,

It is not possible to delete any commit in Subversion. So, the plug-in is working fine.

For example: If you create a version of an artifact X in the revison N with the comment "blah, blah, blah TEST-1 blah, blah" and then you delete it the revision N+1, it will still be shown in the issue page , related to the revision N.

That is because the plug-in gets the full history of the whole repository (for all the versioned artifacts) and X@N is part of the history, even it was deleted in X@N+1

Hope this helps,

Pablo.

Paul Jones April 22, 2013

Had a suspicion this might be causing the problem; certainly sounds like it is what we're seeing. For one project to have a few test comments isn't the biggest problem in the world.

Thanks for the clarification.

0 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

Hi Paul,

It sounds like your SVN plugin's index directory has been corrupted, but once you have deleted the index and restarted the application the index will be recreated and the deleted commits should no longer show. So, to do this please perform the following steps:

1. Delete the $INDEXDIR/plugins/atlassian-subversion-revisions directory
  2. Restart JIRA.

All the best,
John

Paul Jones April 15, 2013

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So I have tried this, deleting both the atlassian-subversion-revisions directory and everything beneath $INDEXDIR with a forced reindex after logging back into jira. Comments are still showing.

So that's stop jira, delete the directory, start jira, force/wait for a reindex. You can see the reindex happening because there are no comments immediately after login then they reappear after the index has happened. But unfortunately too many of them :-)

If that's the process though for resyncing the plugin with the repos, then it suggests the comments actually haven't been deleted from the svn properly. Might be worth me re-checking there just in case.

Suggest an answer