Setting image title and alt text in Confluence 4 WYSIWYG editor

Alan Bowman October 10, 2011

When I insert an image into a document in Confluence 4 using the WYSIWYG editor: Insert > Image > Browse, I don't see a way to edit the image title or ALT text. All that shows up is the actual image file name. Generally, the file names of my images, their titles, and the ALT text are three different things. Due to the naming conventions we use, the actual file name would be fairly nonsensical to our customers, which I why I want to be able to change it in the editor to the actual image title/ALT text I want to use.

This is especially apparent when I reduce the size of the image, so that clicking on it brings up the full size image. The title of the image shown is the file name, which will be something like "ssh_cnnct_term.png", instead of what I want, which would be something like "This is what your command prompt will look like when connected to the server via SSH", and an ALT text of something like "SSH Connection prompt".

It looks like I can do this using Wiki markup, but shouldn't this same fuctionality be available in the WYSIWYG editor? Am I missing something that allows me to do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laura Kolker
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2011

That's a really good question. I'm not seeing a way to use the image edit options for that. Until someone from Atlassian pipes up about that, the workaround I came up with was to use Insert -> Wiki Markup and add the additional properties the old way. I tested it out and the markup transformation works fine for Alt and Title props:

!test.jpg|alt="Test Alt Text",title="Test Title Text"!

Alan Bowman October 11, 2011

Laura,

Thanks. I'll use this for now, and hopefully Atlassian will add this feature to the WYSIWYG editor. While it's not the answer I was hoping for, this is the best answer for now.

1 vote
BillA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2011

Sorry we didn't document this better! You are correct that it's not possible to do this in the WYSIWYG editor now but, as Laura states, it is still possible to do through the "Insert wiki markup" dialog. I've created an issue where you can vote, add your comments and we can gaugue demand for doing this in the editor. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23547

We'll also update our documentation to make sure customers upgrading to 4.0 are aware of this. Again, apologies for not making this clearer sooner.

Alan Bowman October 11, 2011

Bill,

I just voted on the issue. Since Confluence seems to be moving more toward the WYSIWYG editor, and away from using wiki markup, this should indeed be a feature that is available, regardless of the demand.

Valerie Liberty September 12, 2014

Hey there, Bill, was this topic merged into a more recent answer? I'm trying to add titles or a bit of text to each of the pictures in a Gallery I created on a Confluence page. Perhaps my wording is incorrect to find that info?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events