Sourcetree install error on Windows 8

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013
PLATFORM VERSION INFO
	Windows 			: 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)
	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.18033
	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
	clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.18033 built by: FX45RTMGDR
	dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
	dfshim.dll 			: 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
	Deployment url			: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application

ERROR SUMMARY
	Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
	* Activation of http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
		+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
	No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
	There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
	* [4/2/2013 13:25:07] : Activation of http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTree.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
	Following errors were detected during this operation.
	* [4/2/2013 13:25:07] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
		- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
		- Source: System.Deployment
		- Stack trace:
			at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
	No transaction information is available.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Pablo

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

The error seems to be that ClickOnce couldn't locate the folder used to install applications (the bit that failed was System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore with a path error. That suggests that perhaps your environment has been changed from the standard Windows 8 install, perhaps that %USERPROFILE% isn't defined any more? It should be set to your user home (e.g. for me that's C:\Users\Steve). ClickOnce apps are installed in a derivative of this folder to avoid non-admin install issues, for me the root of all ClickOnce apps is C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\L18119EM.AJK\EPVB32CT.29C (yeah, those last 2 folders are weird, MS likes generated names for this it seems).

All these pieces are defined and present as standard in Win8 out of the box, so I'd check that you haven't somehow removed the %USERPROFILE% environment variable, or deleted something in that path thinking it's not relevant.

Some threads I found in Google with this error (not SourceTree, but other ClickOnce apps) suggested that a possible resolution if the above fails to elicit anything is to delete that %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0 folder to reset the ClickOnce cache. I'd only do this as a very last resort though, because it will remove any ClickOnce apps you have and you'd have to reinstall them.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

@Steve, thanks for the ellaborate answer.

I've deleted the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0 directory, but I got just the same error.

The %USERPROFILE% is well defined:

C:\> echo %USERPROFILE%
C:\Users\Pablo

Any other idea?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2013

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events