Why did Atlassian include their (?) Google Analytics tag into our onDemand instance?

Lutz Hoeger March 21, 2013

Hi,

Our onDemand instance (JIRA and Confluence) comes with a Google Analytics tag embedded. Am I correct in assuming this has been put there by Atlassian?

It seems all pages - including their titles - are tracked this way. Is there any way to opt out of this?

Thanks,

Lutz.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2013

OnDemand has its own Google Analytics included on all instances so that we can obtain feedback about how the service is being used and where we can best make improvements.

I don't believe it can be opted out of, but there are several ways to block the tracking on the client side:

Lutz Hoeger March 25, 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for clarifying. I am not generally concerned about using tools like Google Analytics. But I was wondering, whether Atlassian doesn't have any internal-only means to obtain feedback about how the service is being used.

After all, there is data being sent to a third party. Did I observe things right: is every page title included in the data sent?

Thanks,

Lutz.

2 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2013

Lutz,

This is part of GreenHopper Labs features that send anonymous usage data back to Atlassian, aiming to improve GreenHopper.

Check this page for details: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+Labs

And if you wish, you can disable it.

Cheers,

Pedro

Lutz Hoeger March 24, 2013

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your response. The documentation didn't help.

Please note that we run JIRA & Confluence OnDemand, but not (yet) GreenHopper.

On the JIRA Admin page, there is a section "Add-ons" (not Plugins), but it doesn't provide any direct link to GreenHopper or GH Labs. So I went for the "Manage Add-ons" link instead; Under Add-ons Requiring Attention, there is a Greenhopper entry.

Not sure if within its 178 modules there is an Analytics feature, so I completely disabled the GreenHopper add-on. Still, the Google Analytics tag shows up.

Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks, Lutz.

0 votes
Matthew Hunter
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2013

Hi Lutz,

If Google Analytics is annoying you, Google have developed a tool to allow you to opt out of their service:

If you install that tool then Google Analytics will not track any website visit you perform.

May I ask though, why do you want to opt out?

Cheers,

Matt

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events