Create subtask dialog - change default subtask

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

Hi,

I have several subtask types and with the create subtask dialog, Jira shows by default the first alphabetically in the Issue Type select. I would like to change this via jquery, but I am stuck since this is a modal window and don't know how to set a proper selector/condition so I can modify the selected option once the dialog is open.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

Thanks for the tip! just rearranging the options as you describe made the trick.

1 vote
Fadoua Boualem January 5, 2016

By reorganizing the sub-tasks under Issue Types Scheme does the trick.

Thank you guys!

0 votes
Matthew Mares July 8, 2015

@Janet Albion [Atlassian] This works!

demo-riverbed June 28, 2018

This doesn't work. I use Jira 7 and I found that If I have multiple subtasks, for example:

1/ subtaskA

2/ subtaskB

3/ subtaskC

This subtasks are in order in the issue type scheme.

When I create the subtask and selecte subtask issue type as "subtaskB". This creates the subtask "subtaskB". 

Now, I move to another issue (say Task) and try to create a subtask. It defaults to "subtaskB" and not to "subtaskA" which is set the issue type scheme in the project.

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2018

I believe that in JIRA 7 the previous comments are not valid anymore. You shoud try to use Jquery to rerrange the options.

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2013

Adolfo,

Have you tried arranging the subtask in the Issue Type Scheme for the project ? For example, if the sequence is:

1. Bug
  2. Improvement
  3. subtaskC
  4. subtaskA
  5. subtaskB

Then, in the Create Subtask page, the subtasks should appear in the same sequence instead of alphabetically.

0 votes
Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2013

I've tried the following code (posted in the announcement banner) without luck so far. This is Jira 5.2

AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
var val1 = 'option a';
var val2 = 'option b';

AJS.$(document).bind("dialogContentReady", function(event, dialog) {

AJS.$("select#issuetype.select.imagebacked.issuetype-field option").each(function() {
      if (AJS.$(this).text() == val1) {
        AJS.$(this).removeAttr('selected');
      }
 if (AJS.$(this).text() == val2) {
         AJS.$(this).attr('selected','selected');
      }
});
});
});

0 votes
Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 4, 2013

It's in the create subtask dialog where I'd like to change the default subtask type.

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2013

Hi Adolfo,

Do you want to change the sequence in the Create Subtask screen or in the Issue Navigator? Perhaps a screenshot of your desirable goal will help.

Suggest an answer