how to get only visible issues in a project

chintu Parameshwar February 4, 2013

Hi,

In one of my jql function PermissionManager.getProjectObjects(Permissions.BROWSE,user) returns the projects on which user has browse permissions. Till now it is fine.

In one of the project, its permission scheme has "Browse Project" as Reporter Only.

So the user can see only the issues where he/she is the Reporter.

How can I filter same thing in my code, i.e. the getIssueIdsForProject(the id of above project) method returns all the issues, but I need only the issues which user can see?

FYI, I'm using JIRA 5.0.7API

Thanks a million!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2013

Ah, no, there's a bit of an oddity here. "Browse" = "Reporter" doesn't do what it sounds like it should.

At a glance, the sentence should be "Only the person who reports the issue can see it". However, Jira actually thinks "Anyone who can create an issue in that project can see it". There is a sort of logic behind it, but it's a pain to explain. That explains why your filter is getting everything - because it's allowing anyone who *might* report an issue

There is another permission you need to use to get a proper "only reporter can see it" to work - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Current+Reporter+Browse+Project+Permission

Thanks Nic!

Probably I did not explain you what i want. Here is the situation:

The above project has so many issues, but when I write a search query like project in "xxx", it returns only issues where I'm the reporter for them. The issue navigator is filtering other issues based on the permission scheme logic.

Coming to my custom jql function:

issue in getXYZIssues()

In code, I'm able to get the projectID using getProjectObjects(), but I'm unable to filter the issue list to return. In this case, the issues where I'm not the reporter are creating the error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2013

That does not make any sense. If you have a search query of "project in <list of projects>" then the list returned will be all issues in those projects that you have the permission to see.

It doesn't filter anything out, other than stuff you should not see because, well, you can't see it. Yes, that's based on the permission scheme, but that also seems to be what you're asking for? You seem to want to repeat something that it's already doing for you.

I'm a bit lost on what the actual requirement is?

Trying to use 
PermissionManager.hasPermission(int permissionsId,
                      Issue issue,
                      com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User user)
chintu Parameshwar February 5, 2013

That is what happening in jira with permission scheme. I have browse permissions on project, but due to permission scheme, I'm able to see only few issues out of it.

Coming to my requirement, I have wrote a jql function which returns issue ids( So I can use it as "issue in getIssueIdsXXX()" ), in my coding based on requirement logic, I got the projects and I tried to get all the issues from every project and prepared a list and returned. As this list contains issues which I can't see them, issue navigator is throwing error.

I tried to use above function "hasPermission" for every issue, it is working fine, but it is very expensive and takes lot of time if the issue count is more.

I think the same logic(permission check) applied in issue navigator, but this logic gets executed very fast(I'm not talking about the fastness of index).

Could you please suggest me any other ways to achieve this "permission check" to make my jql function faster?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

If you are using the SearchService of JIRA internally, then you should get the logged in user and do the search. So that it gives you only the issues that the user can see.

http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/bc/issue/search/SearchService.html#search(com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User, com.atlassian.query.Query, com.atlassian.jira.web.bean.PagerFilter)

http://docs.atlassian.com/jira/latest/com/atlassian/jira/security/JiraAuthenticationContext.html#getLoggedInUser()

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2013

> I got the projects and I tried to get all the issues from every project and prepared a list and returned. As this list contains issues which I can't see them, issue navigator is throwing error

How are you building the list? If you're passing it into any form of JQL (via searchservice, as Renjith has pointed out), then that will automatically drop anything the current user can't see, without you needing to do any of your own permission checking.

chintu Parameshwar February 6, 2013

If you don't mind, please help me to use SearchService in my code. I have tried to instanciate DefaultSearchService, but in my import it is saying cannot find symbol. Do I need to add any thing in pom.xml? Or do we have any easy methods like getSearchService() etc.

Thanks in advance!

chintu Parameshwar February 21, 2013

Using SearchService.search(), I'm able to get issues that I can see. But it has a performance problem:

1. I tried to send 50k issues as query liters but due to permissions I can not. Then

2. I passed those 50k issues thru SearchService.search and I got 40k issues, I passed them as query literals. This is fine!

But in this process I'm spending TWO times for searching(1 is SearchService.search and 2nd is by issue navigator).

Is there any chance to avoid any one of these and make my JQL faster?

Thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer