• Community
  • Products
  • Confluence
  • Questions
  • I have a 50 user license for Confluence and have 200 users in my active directory. How can I set up Confluence to allow 50 named users with login access to Confluence and the remaining users "view only" access?

I have a 50 user license for Confluence and have 200 users in my active directory. How can I set up Confluence to allow 50 named users with login access to Confluence and the remaining users "view only" access?

Darren Wright January 22, 2013

I have a 50 user license for Confluence and have 200 users in my active directory.

How can I set up Confluence to allow 50 named users with login access to Confluence and the remaining users "view only" access?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Chang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2013

Hey Darren,

As William has mentioned, Confluence controls its license based on Global Permissions. You can indeed place your 50 users into a certain group, and adding that group to Confluence Global Permissions. The members of any group that has Global Permissions to use Confluence will count against the license.

You also mentioned wanting to give the rest of your LDAP users (that do not have accounts in Confluence) read-only access to Confluence content. To this end, you can enable Anonymous access in Global Permissions, then go to the Space Admin console of individual spaces and grant anonymous users View access only. Please note that both Global and Space-level permissions are required for anonymous access; merely allowing anonymous access at the Spacel level is insufficient.

One major caveat to keep in mind with this setup is that anyone without an account will be able to see your Confluence content, provided that they can reach your Confluence server. In other words, due to the nature of anonymous access, Confluence will not distinguish whether the visitor exists in your LDAP or not.

-Robert

1 vote
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Hi Darren,

Confluence's license count is based on Global Permission. Users will count towards the license in the following ways:

• If the user belongs in a group that has global permissions to use Confluence
  • If the user is individually granted global permissions to use Confluence

Within the UI, you can get a listing of users that are assigned Global Permissions by navigating to Confluence Admin > Global Permissions. From there, you can see a list of users and groups that will count against your license. You can click on each group individually to reveal their members.

Also, this query will return users that belong in a group which has global permissions:

SELECT DISTINCT u.lower_user_name
FROM cwd_user u
JOIN cwd_membership m ON u.id = child_user_id
JOIN cwd_group g ON m.parent_id = g.id
JOIN spacepermissions sp ON g.group_name = sp.permgroupname
WHERE permtype='USECONFLUENCE' AND u.active = 'T';

If using LDAP, you can use filters to restrict the scope of the LDAP search. The best option would be to use filters based on Group Memberships. Example:

(&(objectCategory=Person)(sAMAccountName=*)(memberOf=CN=jira-users,OU=Sydney,DC=example,DC=com))

To get your user count down, the following guidelines may be helpful:

• If you have more than one directory, ensure that the same user does not exist in multiple directories.
  • We recommend that you allow only particular groups to log in to each application, rather than entire directories.
  • Note that a mapped application can 'see' all users in a directory, even if not all of them can log in to the application. For example, a Human Resources application might be mapped to your entire Active Directory server, but only the HR group is allowed to log in to the application.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

WZ

Darren Wright January 22, 2013

Thanks William.

If I were to create an active directory group (ie "Confluence_Users") and add the 50 named users to this AD group and then add this group to the Global Permissions would this work ?

Regards

Darren

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events