Depreciate Issue Type

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2011

Is there a way to depreciate an issue type? We have an issue type that we no longer want to allow issues to be submitted against. If I remove the issue type from the Issues Type Scheme for the project, all existing issues with that issue type must be migrated to a different issue type.

I want to prevent users from submitting new issues with the depreciated issue type, but I do not want to change the issue type on existing issues (resolved or unresolved).

Can this be done?

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2011

There is no way to depreciate. But you can modify workflow to make sure users can't create new issues with that issue type. Also, with the help of a text custom field, you can place a warning at the Issue Create page telling users that they won't be able to go any further without changing issue type.

Eldon Wong January 22, 2014

Pedro, I'm interested in this as well. How would you modify workflow to do this?

1 vote
Eldon Wong January 22, 2014

Any way to do it without JJUPIN? (We want to try to avoid buying plugins when we only need it to do one thing.)

0 votes
yannis meriel May 26, 2015

i have the same problem,

Is there any way now to do this with a free plugin  ? (we don't want the solution with the announcement banner or JJUPIN)

I currently try with the Behaviours plugin but i'm not sure it's possible...

0 votes
Ed Falcon May 20, 2014

I was able to achieve this by disabling the "ask-a-question-blueprint" module from the Questions Plugin via Manage add-ons.

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

What we've found that works is hiding the issue type from your create screen with javascript, you can put this in the announcement banner and it will hide the issue type from it. Downside is that I don't think the script doesn't run in Jira Agile so it will still show up if you create from there.

Replace the *'s with the issuetype ID that you find by:

-Inspecting the element of the issue type in the create screen of your browser, in the ''<selec data-container-class="issuetype-ss" etc." element you should have a list of the issue types with their IDs. Note that those IDs are project specific.

&lt;script type="text/javascript"&gt;

function removeIssuetype() {

AJS.$("#issuetype*******").remove();

AJS.$("#issuetype********").remove();

AJS.$("#issuetype*********").remove();

}

var removeCTE = setInterval(function() {

if (AJS.$("#create-issue-dialog").length){

removeIssuetype();

}

},500);

JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function(e,context) {

if (AJS.$("#create-issue-dialog").length){

removeIssuetype();

}

});

&lt;/script&gt;

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014

Yes, it can be done. You can hide it, and you can even put a message on existing issues. Using JJUPIN Live Fields:

string [] forbiddenTypes = {"Issue Type to be hidden"};

lfRestrictSelectOptions("issueType", forbiddenTypes);

//to show a message on the existing issues

if(issueType == "Issue Type to be hidden") {

lfShowFieldMessage("issueType", "This issue type is deprecated. It will be changed in the near future!", "WARNING");

}

0 votes
Akeles
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2011

How about adding an inline text to ask people not to use it?

Another approach is to modify the screen scheme such that the create issue will go to a blank screen.

Suggest an answer