Create read only user for a project

Aleksandar Nikolovski September 22, 2011

Hi All,

I want to create a user who will have read only access on a single project. What I did so far is:

1.Create user user01
2.Create group group01
3.Create role role01
4.Assign user01 in group01
5.Create permission schema. Copy the default schema and add only Browse Projects for role01.
6.Assign this schema to project project01
7.Under project01-> Permissions add role01 to group01 (or to user01)

Whit this setup user won’t be able to log in into Jira I had to change the Global Permissions and add group01 to JIRA Users.

Now I finally have what I want, user have permissions only on project01 and have only read only permissions except he is only to change the status of the test cases (which is sub task that I have created). Why is this? I want a read only user, how do I create such?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2011

To get a read-only user

Do NOT use jira-users group anywhere other than the global permissions. This group should be used to say "person can log in" and should not grant permission to do anything else, unless it really is a completely open global option. You don't have to use Jira-users group for this, you can use others, but you need a specific group for "can log in and see/do stuff that should be available to all users"

Your permission scheme is a little complex, you only really need to use your read only group, OR a role, but it is working.

The thing I think you're missing is security on the workflows. Have a look at them - you'll find transitions have "conditions" like "user must have resolve permission", but some don't. Transitions which have no conditions can be executed by anyone who can see the issue. So you'll need to add conditions to them, such as "user is in the user role"

Aleksandar Nikolovski September 25, 2011

Thank you! I will give this a try and post the solution latter on.

Suggest an answer