GreenHopper - Creating new JIRA projects from Getting Started page.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Hi all,

As you probably know if somebody have GreenHopper installed then there is an option to create projects using Getting Started page.

I was pretty sure that if you are a JIRA administrator then you can only create projects and nobody else can.. However I noticed that even if I am an administrator I was not able do do it because of that problem..

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/User+unable+to+create+project+and+board+in+Getting+Started+page

Can sombody explain to me in a little bit more details why there is a relationship between Default Permission Scheme and a way of creating projects in GreenHopper? When I am creating a new project in a normal way I never use default schemes.. I am automaticaly setting my own set of schemes..

In my Default Permission Scheme unders Browse Project there was only a entry Project Role (Users) .. I needed to add Project Role (Administrators) in order to be able to create new projects using Getting Started page.. but the question is who is listed as a Project Role (Administrators) and how to check that..

If this validation is before creating a project then I do not have ability to add myself to Administrator project role.. Does this mean that any user that will have Browse Project permission in Default Permission Scheme will have the ability to create new projects from Getting Started page even if is not a JIRA administrator?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mirek

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2013

GH uses the default scheme for creating the projects from there (doesn't give an option like in JIRA to select the schemes), and when a project is created, if the user who is creating it (you) does not have browse permission he cannot essentially use the board. Isn't that clear enough, or did I miss something?

Also we are talking about the project getting created. A person just belonging to the Browse Projects permissions has no special meaning for a project which is not yet created.

Project creation, AFAIK, from GH will be allowed only if you have administrative rights.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2013

Hi Renjith,

I understand the idea behind accepting default schemes to all new projects. However when you create a project in a normal way there is the same situation. New project have by default all JIRA Default schemes... The problem do not exist, but in GreenHopper there is currently a relationship that I do not clearly understand..

The problem is that on one side I have permission to create a new project using GreenHopper (because I see the link on Getting Started page) but on the other hand when I click create I cannot do it because of Browse Project permission (even if I am an admin) .. That is the reason why I am asking who can create projects using GreenHopper. Who will see the link? (people in default permission scheme or only administrators)

The second thing that I do not understand is the meaning of those project roles. From my understanding project roles are used in the project to specify access to the project. Example: If I will grant Browse Project permission to Project Role (Users) it mean that all people from this project role (specified in People Tab) will be able to access the project, right?

In my default permission scheme there was only and entry Project Role (User). I have added Project Role (Administrators) and it worked for me. I was able to create a project using GreenHopper Getting Started page.. so the question is how JIRA knows who is in Project Role (Administrators) if there isn't any project created yet?

We are talking essentially about creating projects that will have automatically created a Board not only Boards.. so I think that as a Administrators I do not need to view the Board. On the other hand I can view all Boards as a Administrator.. Don't you think that something is messed up here?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

Yes, I guess it can be argued that if the permission is not there, the link should not be shown. Let me get this verified.

And regarding the remaining part, yes your understanding is right about the project role.

Okay addressing your question of "how JIRA knows who is in Project Role (Administrators) if there isn't any project created yet" - when the project is created from GH, the same default groups that are used by JIRA (jira-administrators,jira-developers,jira-users) is used here as well in the project roles and in turn the project roles are used in permission scheme and that's how it decides whether you have permission or not.

We are talking essentially about creating projects that will have automatically created a Board not only Boards.. so I think that as a Administrators I do not need to view the Board. On the other hand I can view all Boards as a Administrator.. Don't you think that something is messed up here?

This part is slightly confusing to me, I read it a couple of times, but didnt quite understand what you actually meant. Mind if you can reword it?

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2013

Hi Renjith,

Feel free to verify this however the link was available because without it I should not be able to view the dialog window to create a new project.. I was having similar problem as it is mentioned in the KB article.. (a little different error message)

I am just trying to understand why as a JIRA Administrator I am able to create JIRA project without GreenHopper (new project also have default schemes assigned) and why I cannot create a project using Getting Started page..

This is basically the same thing.. The only differenct is that in GreenHopper it is automatically creating (Scrum) Board and associating it with the new project. That is all. But.. As a JIRA Administrator I am also able to see and configure all Boards (Agile > Manage Boards), so I do not see any reason why I cannot create a project..

I know that I cannot create a Board if I do not have "Create Shared Object" Global Permission.. So based on this I though that there is also relationship between GreenHopper and Global Permissions like for example JIRA System Administrators or JIRA Administrators can create a project .. Including a second part of verification with Default Permission Scheme sound for me like a bug instead of a improvement in good direction..

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2013
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2013

Hi Renjith,

Good to see that this is acctualy an real issue however on the other hand a Won't Fix resolution isn't something that I wanted to get..

Thanks for help on this case!

Suggest an answer