new rapid board epic management in kanban

Fabio Coatti January 3, 2013

Hi all,

I'm using GH 6.1 and I like very much the new epic management offered by Scrum boards, plan view. However, we extensively use kanban boards and it would be utterly useful to be able to see something similar to that in kanban mode, say the same view for planning showing only backlog and epics... just to take advantage of epic view with colors, descriptions and so on.

Is this possible? Do I need to file a new feature request? :)

thanks in advance for any answer.

7 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Coatti January 15, 2013

After seeing all the answers here, I guess that the most appropriate action would be to open a slightly different request than the one opened by Estan, with a more limited scope:

something like "pelase provide a kind-of-plan view also for kanban, with backlog and epics like plan view form scrum, but without sprints. Maybe instead of "sprint" we can have a "move to progress" bar.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7204

Thanks to everyone who took the time to aswer here.

Ivaylo Stanev January 16, 2013

I linked the 2 issues created to help the GH team.

1 vote
Deleted user July 10, 2014

We recently switched from Scrum to Kanban and the most missed feature in Kanban board is the Epics view. Much needed.

(The second most missed feature is the search field.)

0 votes
soren Nielsen November 5, 2014

Even just to see Stories related to Epics under the Epic - similar to Sub tasks under Stories would be a great win..

0 votes
clifford June 23, 2013

Yes, this would be a really useful enhancement to have within the Kanban boards. My team and I are in full support of this feature.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2013

Probably this can be achieved (as Kanban itself is just about a continuous flow of tasks) with swimlanes to differentiate what types of tasks are flowing through the board.

Fabio Coatti January 4, 2013

well, while swimlanes are a good feature indeed, this is not the same thing as having the possibility to drag&drop stories in epics, as example, in the same way you could do in scrum boards.

Basically, a "scrum" board without sprints will be all i need :)

Ivaylo Stanev January 6, 2013

Yeah, Epics are very much needed in Kanban!

Mikael Hugo January 16, 2013

+1 from me on epic support on kanban boards in greenhopper.

Chris Anderson May 21, 2013

WE definitely need this. Epics and % completion against epics is needed in Greenhopper

0 votes
Ivaylo Stanev January 4, 2013

User Story / Feature Request created for the Altassian Team:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7052

0 votes
Ivaylo Stanev January 4, 2013

Same need here. We need epics for Kanban.

We also need more reporting data by Epic.

Mikael Hugo January 16, 2013

+100 to this from me

Suggest an answer