project admin jira import issues

Jiannan Tang December 30, 2012

JIRA import can use "External System Import", but it need JIRA admin.

How can a project admin or develop role import issues.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2012

simple and short

no way.

you need at least system administration access

Jiannan Tang December 30, 2012

Tannks, I had to use other solutions.

Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

Actually in newer versions of JIRA Importers Plugin you can run it with administrator permission (no need to by sysadmin). But it's not possible to import issues (or any other items) when you're a regular user.

Jiannan Tang January 2, 2013

But the import user just have project manage permission.

So I think, I need to using REST to realize this function.

Thanks you answers.

Karin van Driel October 8, 2013

Pawel Niewiadomski [Atlassian] states that "in newer versions of JIRA Importers Plugin you can run it with administrator permission (no need to by sysadmin)". That seems to indicate to me that a Project Admin should be able to import now (with the latest version of the plugin). I may be misinterpreting this, so if that is the case please do let me know. If my interpretation is correct, then it would be good to know how a project admin can be enabled for this functionality or where they access it. Thanks!

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

@Karin: JIRA has several levels for admins:

1) global system administrator (god power)

2) global administrator (almost god power)

3) project administrator (far from god and just sandboxed to a project)

JIRA Importers plugin requires you to be either 1) or 2). Project admin does not suffice. So Pawel is correct, but you misinterprete it.

0 votes
Ari Davidow June 19, 2017

It appears to be the case that the system administrator can set things up so that a project administrator can import:  https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CCLI/How+to+allow+users+to+import+JIRA+issues+from+Excel+or+CSV 

Not sure if that applies to both hosted and on-prem Jira.

manjunatha.rajappa November 14, 2017

I am unable to access this link - Page Not Found.

How to give Projects->Import External Project" access permission to Project lead?

Jonathan Creech March 13, 2018

Neither of the links work =(

Is there a way for a project admin to import issues that someone can link to?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

The second link works fine, the first has a couple of characters added by this platform (it's a known bug) - try it again, but lose the %A0 on the end of the url

Karin van Driel March 13, 2018

Just did a search in the space where the broken link lives and found this: https://bobswift.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/CCLI/pages/30703792/How+to+allow+users+to+import+JIRA+issues+from+Excel+or+CSV

Hope that helps. 

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, do you know what version of Confluence introduced this bug please? We are looking at upgrading (finally) but this bug would break the way our documentation is shared...

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2018

This isn't Confluence, this is Lithium.  Confluence doesn't have padding bugs.

Thanks for replying Nic! I thought you were talking about Bob Swift's changed link, where there are now extra bits in the URL of his Confluence page.
I don't see any other padding in the links, hence my confusion :) Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

I was - lithium padded it when the data was brought in from the last version of this site!  But glad you've managed to get there now!

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 31, 2012

Or script it using JIRA REST or SOAP.

Jiannan Tang January 2, 2013

I just want to confirm the project manager have the permission.

So I have to use the REST to realize import function.

Thanks your answer.

Suggest an answer