How do I get usage statistics in Confluence OnDemand?

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

I know Confluence OnDemand is extremely limited in what Atlassian allows. Is it possible to get usage statistics? I want to be able to see who is going where so I can tailor content.

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
LylaF February 5, 2013

It looks like there should be a Usage Statistics plugin for onDemand, but I can't figure out how to turn it on. I will follow-up if I find anthing.

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2013

According to the documentation it's disabled by default due to it's impact on larger instances. If you want it turned on the system administrator (i.e. Atlassian) has to turn it on for you.

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2013

No sadly Atlassian is the only System Administrator for onDemand instances to prevent users from breaking anything. Users can be Confluence Administrators which grants them the ability to do pretty much everything except changes that will effect the system like enabling or disabling system plugins.

LylaF February 5, 2013

Oh, I thought that the system administrator was the person with admin bits on the on-demand instance, probably from the listing of available plug-ins. It is just not part of that list. I take it that there is an administrator from Atlassian that I should try to track down then?

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Yep, you can request that we enable it for you by submitting a Support request.

Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 6, 2013

Before requesting to enable this plugin in OnDemand, please note of the following:

1. The Confluence Usage Stats plugin, which provides the 'Space Activity' screen, is known to cause performance problems on large installations.
  2. The usage data is collected only when the plugin is activated.
Lexi Albert January 10, 2018

Hi - Do you know what is considered a "large" instance? I'm considering contacting support to enable this feature as it would help determine how valuable the tool is for the company. Any insight would be much appreciated. 

1 vote
Tim
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2017

Hi Anne,

We've created an add-on that gives you some really good usage statistics in Confluence Cloud. It includes an overview of activity but also the details like who has viewed a particular page.

You can find more information here: Analytics for Confluence Cloud

It's many years later, but I hope it helps you and the next person.

1 vote
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2015
1 vote
Dave
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2012

Sean and Selcuk,

Plugins cannot be added to Confluence OnDemand, that would require hosting your own instance locally. There is no way to accomplish this with the OnDemand product.

Thanks,

-dave

1 vote
Selcuk Savas
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2012

Hi Sean,

There are some plugins

The best I found so far is

http://www.customware.net/store/confluence/tracking_plugin.html

Also you can use popular content, usage statistics macros.

Google analytics works fine if you know what you are doing and how to get most out of it.

Cheers,

Selcuk

Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Those options would work for the hosted version but onDemand doesn't allow users to install plugins or add customHTML to themes.

0 votes
LylaF February 5, 2013

It looks like there should be a Usage Statistics plugin for onDemand, but I can't figure out how to turn it on. I will follow-up if I find anthing.

0 votes
Anne Barhyte December 12, 2012

Yes Dave, I understand that. Thanks. We have an internally hosted version, but we were checking our options for using on Demand. Thanks for the quick response. I know you have a suggest a feature area, I would be happy to post this there. Thanks for your time.

0 votes
Anne Barhyte December 12, 2012

I am surprised that there is NO metrics whatsoever, even built in to 5. Metrics in todays world is MOST valuable. I am very disappointed. Seems like going backwards. Is there any type of solution Dave that you can point me to?

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
December 12, 2012

Hi Anne,

That's particularly difficult on a hosted solution with shared infrastructure as we can't allow any access to the file system, and it's difficult to open the platform to plugins as it is always on the latest and greatest software, which changes regularly. At this point, gathering usage statistics would require moving to a downloaded version and hosting it in house, where you could customize as much as you'd like with plugins, Google Analytics code, or even extending the source code.

Thanks,

-dave

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events