How can I import Jira OnDemand issues from one project, to Jira hosted existing instance

pmorgan December 2, 2012

Hi there, hoping someone can help me with a very unique situation.

I'd like to export some issues from a project on a Jira OnDemand instance and import them into an existing project on a Jira Hosted version.

Jira OnDemand 5.2

Jira Hosted 5.1

Backup manager seems to only export all issues - this is not what I want as I need to import only a set of issues (albeit 100's).

Each project has separate shortcodes e.g.

OnDemand = ABCD-1

Hosted = WXYZ-1

But it would be ok for the OnDemand issue numbers to change on import to the Hosted version, so long as statuses, comments, details, assignee etc all remained intact.

Any advice appreciated, please let me know if I can provide any more information about the issue.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

You could also use a JQL filter to select the set of issues to export, save them as Excel (All Fields) and then save it as CSV. Manipulate the CSV file until the JIRA CSV Importer accepts it. This is unlikley to preserve comments or attachments though.

I think a custom script to extract the data, comments and attachments via REST is what I'd do to get more of the data migrated.

pmorgan December 3, 2012

thanks Matt I will look into this also.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2012

JIRA Command Line Interface can help. I haven't tried that specific scenario, but you should be able to use getIssueList to extract a selected list of issues. Then use runFromCsv with createIssue to add issues to another instance. You will need a property file to exclude some of the fields (columns) - How to import JIRA issues using CSV has some more info.

Tips:

1. Make sure your JQL gets exactly the issues you want
  2. Make sure you use an outputFormat on getIssueList that gets custom fields if you want that
  3. Use --simulate on with runFromCsv to verify what it is going to run
  4. Use --continue for your final run and save the result log in case you need to make manual repairs

pmorgan December 2, 2012

Thanks Bob - can the command line interface be used with Jira OnDemand?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

I'd expect so

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

Yes :). And I need 10 characters for it to be a valid comment :(.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events