Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira port issue

nithin mp November 29, 2012

Hi,

I was able to get jira run on port number 8081 and 8006 successfully.but when i installed jira on 80 and 8006in a new machine, i cant able to access the jira on 80.it is showing "connection refused" eventhough there is no firewall on my linux machine.When I run netstat I only see it listening on 8006. I'm at a loss for what could be blocking here since I got the page from 8081 on the initial set up. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

hi nithin mp

whats the idea behind your plan to let jira run with port 80 ?

Under UNIX all ports <1024 are "privileged" ports. Only root may open a privileged port.

i assume you want to access your jira without adding the port (e.g. 8006) at the end of your server address.

this could be achieved in a way more secure way.

let me know if you need more details on that

you could add something like this in your vhost config file:

<Proxy *>
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Proxy>
SSLProxyEngine On
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
ProxyPassReverse / ajp://localhost:8009/
<Location />
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Location>

my jira installation is running with AJP connector and it is bound to port 8009. all other connectors are commented out.

this also works with the http connector...you will need to change ajp to http in the above shown example

in my vhost file i set any incomming request to f.e. https://jira.myhost.com to connect to port 8009 on localhost....thats it

i just want to get the correct reason why am i not able to connect to jira with port 80?

Is that previleged in linux? is yes how can i overcome that issue?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2012

Under UNIX all ports <1024 are "privileged" ports. Only root may open a privileged port.

as i said....try to run jira with uid=0 (root) wich is highly discouraged

get the username jira uses for running from $JIRA_INSTALL_DIR/bin/user.sh

you may need to change this cause even the installer will create a new user for jira.

i tried with ports 1024 onwards..its working.

But i want to know what all are the settings to run it on the ports <1024

please reply ASAP

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012
I believe you need to modify the start proceedure. Take a look at jira/bin/ directory. I remember seeing some lines like userid -ne '0' This needs to be modified as well.

after changing my port number to 80 i start jira as root. then also its not working with port 80.

i really want to escape from this port issue...

1 vote
Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012

Under which user you are running jira ? Normal user can not bind to port 80, also please check the catlina.out log file for more details.

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012

I don't see an attachment but I think the problem is you are running it under user jira which can not bind to port 80 .

in my catalina.out file it is written as:

user.name : jira

but i am running the command to install jira as below:

sudo ./atlassian-jira-5.1-x64.bin

Vishwajeet Singh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012

ok, can you share your catlina.out, also check if some other service is not running on port 80.

Can you verfiy if jira has started on server ?

(catalina) yea jira is already started on server.

sorry i cant able to upload the whole catalina file.no other services are running in port 80 and the server had already started.

0 votes
nithin mp December 2, 2012

thanks all for resolving this issue....

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2012

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events