How can I control the text that appears at the top of some workflow transition screens?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

For example, here is the text that appears at the top of the resolution screen when an Issue is "Closed"

Closing an issue indicates that there is no more work to be done on it, and that it has been verified as complete.

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

As far as I see, it is using the reserved jira.i18n.description property.

For Resolve and Close, you should be able to change the related i18N values of resolveissue.desc.line1 and closeissue.desc. I haven't tested it though. For custom transitions, you might have to edit the XML as it doesn't allow the reserved property to be added via UI.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

I must be missing something...

But why doesn't the screen shot I attach show up!?!

To "Close Issue" I attempted to add...

Property Key jira.i18n.closeissue.desc.line1

Also tried: jira.i18n.closeissue.desc

I got an error message that said "Key starts with 'jira,' but is not known to JIRA

Like Sinem KÖSEBAY likes this
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

I must be missing something...

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

I guess I got a bit technical! You can't configure it from UI is the short answer.

If you want to just modify the description for Resolve or Close transitions, you can do that by modifying the i18n files. If you want to add a description on custom ones, you will have to try modifying the workflow XMLs directly.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

What/where are the i18n files?

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/com/atlassian/jira/web/action/JiraWebActionSupport.properties for default language. For other languages, it will be in th language jars.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2012

I filed an enhancement request with Atlassian.

https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JSP-145626

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

I am on on-demand user...does this mean I cannot get my workflow screens to inherit the text I specify on the workflow? i can download and read the xml, but even if I could edit it, there's no way to upload it into JIRA. Any workaround or am I out of luck? See screens below for some detail.

@GeorgeCC, the enhancement request you provide above seems to be a dead link. Did you paste the incorrect number here?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Sorry, but the link I put in works for me.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

George, that must be a private issue you created with Atlassian then...that's why I can't view it.

0 votes
Fabrizio Galletti
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

news about this?

Florian Patzl April 25, 2013

I tested Jobin's suggestion (manually editing the workflow XML) today and it's working. I guess it's the only way to do this right now.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Is there anything in the pipeline (anyone know?) to support those with the On-Demand product?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

It's the description of the action, you specify it in the workflow. Certain transitions like that use an i18n key.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

That's what I thought too.

But I go to the workflow diagram.

I Edit the Transition.

I publish the change.

I go back to the project and close an Issue.

No change in what I see.

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

I just added a screen shot.

Interestingly, I pasted in the text originally. I can see it on an edit, but not on a read. Oh, well.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2012

missing screenshot?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events