Something like Jira Studio Top Nav Bar for standalone Jira/Confluence/Fisheye combo

Serena Kirillova September 6, 2011

I know Jira Studio is more tighly integrated but are there any options for a similar funtionality, so that the users could switch between the applications with ease of a click of a button?

What I initially thought of doing (and done it half way) was to create a small plugin that added couple of buttons similar to Dashboard one on Jira with links to confluence and fisheye. That's all very nice and works fine for Jira (quite possibly for Fisheye as well, I not tried it yet) but with confluence I can't add something like that (or at least don't know how to).

I suppose it's also possible to do through templates?

Thanks in advance.

4 answers

0 votes
seb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2011

There is currently no supported way of achieving the "JIRA studio" effect when running in house instances of the Atlassian stack. Other customers have asked for it, however it requires significant effort from each product to be able to support this feature. In our efforts to improve JIRA studio and infact integration of the entire Atlassian Stack, I hope that this "single app" mode is something that we will be able to make available to customers in the future.

However, at the moment there is no ETA for this.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2011

I have done one that is pre-production atm... each app has a plugin that writes a div at the beginning of the body, gets the current project ID and posts to a grails app that actually sends the banner content. The logged in user details panel is then detached and moved in to the banner. Looks great.

Using the grails app we can relate jira/confluence/fisheye/nexus/teamcity projects to each other even when the names/keys don't match, plus have a choice of code viewer for the Source tab, and allow project admins to add additional tabs etc. The grails app is also responsible for allowing admins to modify LDAP groups... all the apps look at the ldap server for their permissions, so when a new user joins a project you only need change the perms in one place.

Same as jira studio, I store the recently visited project keys in a cookie in order to show the recent projects dropdown.

I ripped off the css for the banner from jira studio but the code behind it is all home-grown.

Next up is cross-product search...

> but with confluence I can't add something like that (or at least don't know how to).

You can use a plugin or just "custom html", but the advantage of posting to a separate app is that you can do a lot more, such as lookup in a database what jira project corresponds with this confluence space etc.

I can't give the code away but there's nothing ground-breaking there.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2011

That's not super helpful Jamie. Yes plugins can add custom html to a page, and do many other things. Touting your success at the endevour does not help others reach the goal.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2011

And besides, the more people who say "I see the need for a nav bar like in jira studio" the more likely Atlassian are to implement, which I'd much prefer over something homegrown.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2011

Hrm. I was only try to give you some ideas. And you said you didn't know how to do it with confluence, I tried to explain how.

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2011

Any documentation that you used to get started, key snippets (accessing current project key, the proper template element to hook to, etc), any plugins with inspiring or similar features, and any information that you used along your path would make this much more valuable.

Also, is it your employers IP policies that prevent you from sharing, or is there another reason you are unable to open-source the code as a full-fledged plugin?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2011

The former. And also it's not a plugin, but a full-fledged web app. I wish it could be done reliably as plugins but for our (highly specific) usage it could not. More than happy to answer specific questions about accessing the project key (which is var selectors = ["#pd-key", "#key-val"]) or anything else but I can't post the all the code. Not that it would be much good to anyone. Even Atlassian's implementation is very specific to jira studio.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2011

There was a discussion about this on the forums(http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?messageID=257350252&#257350252), in which Atlassian gave minimal support with a "try looking here" type response. I am sure others have done this, but I can't find much on it anywhere else.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2011

I'd like this too - I've got a really old block of code for something in Jira (3.0.3 to give you an idea of the age) and a toolbar type thing in our Confluence provided by some css in our global settings (which fails miserably in IE7 and needs fixing, so I'm keen to get a working replacement), but a proper Studio menuing system for the apps would be brilliant.

Suggest an answer