I've been trying to add a Startup Script to the Base Windows AMI in order to install Visual Studio Community 2017 when the instance is created. I thought this would be a fairly easy thing to do, but nothing I do seems to work. Regardless of what I put in there, when the instance is running, and I look at the User Data, it's all random characters and symbols, and the script itself never seems to run.
Do I have to make a custom image to get this working? I'd really rather not have to do that just to get this project to build.
I've tried using <powershell> tags, I've tried without. I've tried Base64 encoding the script. I've tried using a Bamboo task to do the install, but the bamboo user doesn't seem to have rights to install things.
I've spent the better part of a workday trying to get this one thing to work and I'm about at my wits' end.