Good morning (if you're on the west coast US), and happy Monday to all!

It's back to school season here, and I am just two short weeks away from getting rid of... I mean cheerfully sending my nine year old to his first day as a fourth grader! Today I want to know what your best and worse memories are from grade school.
Here are the top five things I loved most about going back to school then vs now
1. Class lists get posted about a week before school starts
THEN: Running to school to see if you're going to get the mean old teachers, or the fresh-faced ones. Are you going to be in the same class as your friends?
NOW: Hoping my son's new teacher can handle the merry group of troublemakers that are in his squad
2. Shopping for supplies
THEN: New clothes! New shoes! New backpack! We were on a pretty tight budget, but my mom was super thrifty, and we always got what we needed. Going back to school felt like mini Chistmas
NOW: Holy smokes, how does everything cost so much?? Nowadays I start school shopping in October when all the previous year's stuff goes on sale. Thanks Amazon!
3. School pizza
THEN: School pizza is the best food ever. I would trade anything in my lunch box to have a slice of that sweet soggy goodness.
NOW: What is school pizza even made out of? 'Highly Nutritious Cardboard' would definitely be my best guess. Why did I even like that stuff?
4. Being one grade level higher
THEN: There's nothing like the feeling of being bigger, older, and smarter when you go back to school. This is especially true for those milestone moments like your first day of high school. You may be a freshman... but you were in HIGH SCHOOL!
NOW: I can't believe how fast my kids grow up, and love to see all my son's friends after the long break. It feels like they're kids one day, and full-fledged people the next year.
5. Making New Friends
THEN: The best part of the new school year was making new friends. Maybe there's someone who just moved here, or maybe they were part of a class you never interacted with. If you're transitioning to high school, there could be tons of people you'd never met before. Navigating the social waters was scary, but making a new friend was one of the best feelings.
NOW: I love it when my son comes home from his first day and we get to talk about all the new people he met. I guess I'm vicariously living through his experiences since I'm in my thirties now and have become socially stagnant (LOL)