Our team had just started using Sourcetree. Initially everything was fine, but on one of the machines the push and pull notifications showing how many commits are waiting to be pushed/pulled are not showing up. We expect to see them next to the push and pull buttons on the source tree user interface:

Making commits to the local repo does not trigger the push icon to appear. Using sourcetree on another machine and pushing changes to the bitbucket repo does not cause the pull icon to appear on the problem machine. It is still possible to push and pull files.
I have set the 'check default remotes for updates every' to '2' minutes. And have tried clicking Repository > 'Refresh Remote Status' on the toolbar.
I have tried repeatedly setting up new repos on bitbucket and connecting them to new repos on sourcetree. I have tried having different files in the repos to check they are not responsible for the problem.
The counters in the branch list are working on colleagues machines, but not on mine.
I have tried uninstalling Sourcetree and reinstalling it.
The problem machine is on OSX 10.9.2, 3.5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
I am not sure what to do next to try and solve this issue. Without this feature it is going to be hard to know when pushes and pulls are required.