Any other country that celebrates Midsummer holiday (this friday 22 June)?
Hej Ulrika!
In Germany we don't have a holiday for the solstice. A quick read-up revealed to me, that apparently some pats of Germany do have cultural-ish festivities. I have only lived in Lower Saxony and we never had celebrations other than those of a commonly known large furniture store. I believe our Maifest is celebrated similarly in some aspects. Then again, I'm not a Midsommar specialist. ;-)
tl;dr: For my understanding, Midsommar to a Swedish extent is a Swedish/Scandinavian thing.
Hej då!
I also thought it was a Swedish/Scandinavian thing. We celebrate it tomorrow. And it is the only day of the year that we are sure that it is going to rain a lot. :-)
Hi @[deleted]! I wish we did -- it seems like such a nice way to celebrate the longest day of the year!
As far as I know my family in the Netherlands does not celebrate this either, but we do celebrate Sinterklaas on December 5.
Happy Midsummer! 🌞
Thanks.
I do, but it is a super informal thing, and isn't a standard holiday. For my friends and I it just involved heading to the beach, to hang out and have a bonfire that evening, just spending the longest day with the people we enjoy hanging out with.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.