I am new to GIT and I am trying to do what I was doing in SVN with externals. Any help is appreciated.
Have a look at https://www.atlassian.com/git/articles/alternatives-to-git-submodule-git-subtree and https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/using-merge-subtree.html
I would also recommend https://www.atlassian.com/git/, it has a lot of helpful tutorials and articles.
Thank You. I still cannot find what I am looking for. Maybe subtree is not the right solution for the problem. I am trying to share a project between 2 .NET solutions. When I change code in 1, I want the code to change automatically in the other.
Is the command line the only option for merging subtrees using Sourcetree?
Git subtree will not change the code automatically, it creates a copy of the subtree so you can make changes to it and then push it back to the subtree if you want to share your changes.
The closest to automatically update the code between two solutions would be symlinks. Check out https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/wiki/Symbolic-Links#creating-symbolic-links. You would still have to push/pull manually to make sure your repositories are up-to-date.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.