Hi all!
I wanted to start a discussion around differentiating cloud vs. server content. Specifically I would love to know:
Would love any general thoughts/brainstorming around this.
It has been INCREDIBLY helpful to me to know which specific cloud or server product a user is asking about. There are such huge differences in functionality that I'd find myself answering from one perspective when they needed another. Even the UI differences are critical when providing screenshots.
I don't think it would be helpful to have a third collection of 'unknown'. I think at the very core of a question, the user needs to be able to differentiate between cloud or server.
Another idea is that you can provide a bit of context around the selection of cloud and server to help users who don't know. Or information on where they can locate that information.
@Monique vdBI may not go in your order but I will try to answer all questions:
Best of luck!
Agree with you, @Meg Holbrook especially on the last idea. There could be a ? bubble that guides them to distinguish between cloud vs server or to ask their admin.
Totally agree with @Meg Holbrook and @carolyn french - great idea to help the users to find out what system they are working on
Would also be great to have the opportunity to have a Server subcollection!
And I'd like to have it like this:
@Tinker Fadoua - As far as I remember, Atlassian changed the name "Add-on" to "App" officially about one year ago. The marketplace is using app ("Search for apps", "Explore apps"). The menu in Jira Cloud is still using the name "Add-ons". Don't know, what's right now, app or add-on. But it should be consistent everywhere.
This is probably overkill but....
If there was a URL field that allowed users to paste in the URL to their instance could the Tag field automatically suggest tags from that URL, similar to a postal address field finder?
Not even sure if this is possible but I could see this making life easier for users and community champions and the community in general.
Thanks
There might be a security problem with this. I would not enter our internal URLs into a field on a public website.
Thought as much, thanks @Thomas Schlegel.
+1 here, all UIs are still using plugins/addons and that's far more appropriated in my opinion.
The "cool" approach on Cloud UI + marketplace is a great initiative but should keep consistency on the products. Most "Apps" are just basically addons. We can agree that Tempo Budget for instance could be an App as it's bringing a complete new aspect to Jira, where most of the Apps are just extending some features.. that's confusing for new users!
A simple way could be to ask the user if browsing Jira is easy, if yes, he/she's definitely using Server
I don't have control over this one, have to stick with App since that's what the official terminology is now.
@Manon Soubies-Camy I love this suggestion.
@Test User KL and @Scott Grieder ^^^
Looking at this is a little chaos to me..
It is not even sorted alphabetically, hard to read, some products have subcategories, some not.. Everything simply gray without any life (color) that could be better for eyes.
Hmm.. Since some products are only on Cloud (like Stride, Atlassian Access, .. ) and some are for server (Bamboo) and some are for both (JIRA, Confluence, .. ) maybe instead of creating another sub-collections for Cloud/Server products we can start filtering like this..
Community > Products > Cloud (Server) > Confluence
instead..
Community > Products > Confluence > Confluence Cloud (Confluence Server)
In other words first choose to type of product (Cloud or Server) and later have only list of products that are inside this category.
Thanks to that maybe someone would also be able to watch only Cloud or Server topics. We could also make data center also as separate. The key point where to make a visual switch. it might be a button that make it more dynamically (gray out products or show only applicable) or a sub menu below "Products" .. or using different colors.
What do you think?
To try to run through the original questions instead of getting side-tracked on comments:
Another great point, thanks for this feedback!
Color differentiation would be a nice solution. Also maybe expandable/contractible menus?
Well first, I'm very glad to hear the new cloud/server picker has been helpful! I think if we take @Manon Soubies-Camy's suggestion above, it might make it even harder to miss.
Thanks for your other suggestions and thoughts. This definitely helps as I ponder our information architecture more broadly....
Remember that color is for adding information, and never the sole way to differentiate things. You should be able to print something in black and white and not lose information. Atlassian Design Guidelines and me as a color blind person
@Matt Doar yes! That is a great point and very important our design guidelines are color-blind friendly.
@Manon Soubies-Camy has a very good point: it would be helpful to keep the tags visible at all time.
Hi @Monique vdB,
Not Confluence related, but here is a feedback from a Community user about Bitbucket:
- https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-questions/Re-Re-Bitbucket-README-textile-not-rendering/qaq-p/848424/comment-id/30024#M30024
Thanks @Caterina Curti! Is this user talking about the support portal? This doesn't look like the community Explore menu. Plus based on their question it looks like they did enter Bitbucket as their product and then have the option to choose Cloud or Server with our new create form. So this may be feedback for the Support team rather than a request for a subcollection? Correct me if I'm wrong!
And the "main" tags too - a lot of questions have something like "Confluence" "thing1" "thing2". The "things" don't tell you a lot about the system you're looking at. I'd like to keep them collection/main tags with the others.
Great attention to details @Monique vdB! You are right that the screenshot is from the https://support.atlassian.com/products/ page.
However, the Community list of products (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Products/ct-p/products) looks very similar and only mentions "Bitbucket" and "Bitbucket pipelines".
(So similar that I did not see the difference without actually browsing to the page and opening both of them for comparison).
While I can see how the customer is not referring to Community in particular, it would be great to have a shared (across all platforms) and easy to understand way to differentiate between the two hosting options.
Do we have a way to see if the customer selected the right tag? I usually add the hosting type to each question I answer.
Cheers!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.