When merging operation is called, temporary files are created in the project folder that was checked out such as BASE, LOCAL, REMOTE and BACKUP.
How to find out which commits SourceTree takes exactly for Base, Local, Remote and Backup ?
Hi Ali,
And welcome to the Atlassian Community.
BASE is the common ancestor before there where any changes to the file on either side.LOCAL is your side of the conflict, e.i. your changes made to the file.REMOTE is "theirs" side of the conflict, e.i. changes made on the branch you are merging from.BACKUP is what the file looked like before you invoked the merge tool.
You can find out the base commit by using git merge-base and feed it with the commit on your branch and the commit on the branch you are merging to.
Hello Mikael,
thank you for your reply, it helped much indeed. Do you know how to find out which base git is taking in a specific merge session when git merge ....... command is called?
Thanks.
Regards, Cemal.
Cemal, the git merge-base command I linked to above should be able to tell you what the base commit is. It will figure out the common ancestor.
Mikael, thank you. The command does really return a commit, however, when I merge I get a 1KB base file which is practically empty and the returned commit is not empty, it is a file over 100 MB big. I have this related question. So I was wondering, if there is a way to get the base commit in a current merge operation beyond the one returned by the command or why does merge retrieve an empty base, although the returned base by the command is a "big" file ?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.