Since upgrading from Bamboo 5 to Bamboo 6, we have seen several issues with build and deployment triggers. Sometimes hey hang, or they don't fire at all. Our plans and configurations increased too, so I'm not sure what the actual cause.
I've listed my Bamboo system configuration below:
Operating system: Windows Server 2012 R2 6.3
Operating system architecture: amd64
Available processors: 8
Java version: 1.8.0_172
Total memory: 1008 MB (--> this seems off, the server has 16GB of RAM)
Version: 6.5.0
Build number: 60509
Build date: 4/20/18
git version: 2.17.0.windows.1
I cannot give exact numbers, but we have around 80 projects, each containing one to 5 build plans. Each build plan has at least one repository branch, but plan branches for at least half of them can go as high as 5 at the same time. Let's say 75% of all projects have a deployment plan too, each having 3 environments (DEV, QA, PROD). Every build plan is using git polling (default 180 seconds timeout) and each deployment plan for DEV and QA has a trigger so that it fires after a successful build of the corresponding plan branch.
Now, the last couple of months we have observed the following:
- Sometimes a build hangs during a git checkout. If I kill all the git processes on the machine, the build detects this, retries and succeeds. I've seen as much as 15 parallel "Git for Windows" processes existing during such times.
- Sometimes a deployment plan is not immediately triggered. We have seen it take as long as 2 hours before the trigger fires. The problem is that a developer might have triggered the deploy manually because Bamboo did not do it, and then suddenly, after business hours, the trigger goes of and a build is deployed again. Most of the times this is not a problem, but we have seen deployments fail, causing the application that is deployed to stop and leaving it in an unusable state for our customers. If we deploy during business hours and we see this happening, we can of course fix it, but if the deploy goes of in the middle of the night, we can't.
We are running a single Bamboo instance, with 3 local agents and 1 remote agent. The remote agent is not configured with build capabilities, and can thus only be used for some deployment plans.
I searched the bug tracker, but I could not find any similar issue.
Is it possible we have too much plans and configurations for a single instance? Our the server resources insufficient? Is there additional information I could provide to help track down this issue?