I would like to use Trello to manage a process that requires multiple people to have access to the board, but I would like to restrict delete rights to just the Admins. Can this be done?
Hi Bill,
I don't think you have the granularity with Trello to remove the delete card permission from a normal user. Would it be acceptable to have admins and observers (where observers are members with read-only access to a board)? Have you thought of using JIRA? ;-)
I would love to have the capability of managing permissions in that way. I really need to restrict delete rights to Admins. I Hope Trello would have this as soon as possible.
I also look for to disable option to delete card for some users but as far as I see there is no chance to do that.
please create this, it's absolutely essential
I'd be very interested in this feature, as well!
This feature seems so obvious that it must be an oversight.
I need this as well. Might have to switch away from Trello if not available.
Feels like this feature is way too long overdue! Currently looking for an alternative ticket system due to not being able to easily track if someone is deleting cards.
Hi Carlos,
What is the official line from Trello developers? it seems there is a real demand for control over who can delete cards. Will this be a feature in the near future?
Michael
I would expected it is already taken into consideration before and added this feature before.
Hi Team, this is a critical requirement for a Trello board solution we are devising to manage an important aspect of our business. We need to be able to restrict permission for the deletion of Cards etc to a limited number of Admin user.
Are there definite plans to enable this type of functionality ?
Hello my company is exploring Trello as project management tool for a cross-functional team. I would like to echo the need for a solution that restricts the permission of the delete function to an Admin type of user. Are there any updates as to when and if this feature will be added?
Thanks,
Alexandra
Will someone form Trello support be responding to this request ?? I see many folks requesting the same thing but don't see any responses or movement ?
Thanks,Jimmy
Agree here - with multi board guest or just team members allowing them to delete a card is a lot of risk to any workspace.There should be a setting to allow only board admins to delete a card.How is Jira going to help? I'd like to know
Just introduced Trello to my new team, gave them all assignments and created a Label for each of them. Told them when they finished to delete their label from the card so I'd know they were done. First one to complete deleted her Checklist. :-( Not just messing up the card, but the card was a TEMPLATE! I had hoped to leave the template card visible so I could easily copy cards or edit, but thinking now I am going to have to Archive it so others don't go in and mess with it. Crazy that a program meant for collaboration doesn't have a no-delete setting!!!
Need this option.
Agree - deleting cards should be restricted to Admins.
Unfortunately observer status not acceptable since observers cannot upload attachments which all our team members need.
Had a team member accidentally delete a card ! forntunately it was a fairly new card so it was easy to reconstruct it. However we have some cards on the board with plenty of attachments over the years. This will be a headache if deleted accidentally by non-admins.
Hey everyone! I'm seeing a lot of comments on this thread asking for advanced user permissions to prevent accidental deletions.
While Trello considers building out this feature, I want to recommend a Power-Up called Backups for Trello. It was developed for this very reason – helping teams work safer in Trello without stressing about data loss.
If you back up your Trello account with Backups for Trello, you can easily restore the data with Rewind in a few seconds using the Power-Up.
You can think of it as an "undo" button for Trello and a way to give new employees access to important Trello boards without stressing about data loss.
I'm not suggesting that user permissions aren't an important request. They are. But wanted to give people a workaround for the time being if data loss is a real concern.
If anyone has any questions – let me know.
I can't beleive this isn't already in, and I'm absolutely stunned it hasn't been added in the years since it was first asked for. Absolutely crazy not to have this basic functionality.
Leaving a message to not let this die.. as to 25/10/2023 this feature is still being begged by users
@Juan Francisco Cordova chipping in too
Huge risk for our use case. Considering alternative software at the moment.
It's really weird to not have this ability still in 2024 !And to make things dangerous - not sure why, but for templates, directly the Delete button gets visible.For safety, we have automation to unarchive cards. But there's no way to undo Delete.
Recently our template card got deleted by colleague which has all the required fields to raise a POC request (which is a frequent case).And being deleted - we could not do anything other than reverse-engineering the template from latest card.
Kindly look into it on priority !
Following.
We have the same issue.
Any suggestions for alternative would be appreciated.
Following. Great product with silly features at times.
We would need this feature too! Missing documentation in case of delete of a card.
Trello - please help restrict the deletion of cards! Why is this not a basic feature???
The ability to delete cards is too big of a security risk, which can result in the loss of many hours of work. It could even be done deliberately by an angry employee.For this reason, I cannot use Trello to its full potential in my company.
It’s 2025, and the irony couldn’t be stronger — a chat thread opened in 2018 asking for a simple “restrict card deletion to admins” feature is still waiting for Trello to wake up.Wake Up Trello Wake Up..
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.