I updated to SourceTree v 2.7.2. this morning and my first push I received this error:Pushing to https://username@bitbucket.org/repo/path.git
fatal: could not read Password for 'https://username@bitbucket.org': Device not configured
This had never been an issue prior to the update, so I'm thinking the two are connected.
I've tried re-logging in (choosing basic and OAuth with HTTPS as the protocol), restarting sourcetree and restarting my computer but have had no luck.
Help is appreciated!
We've identified the fix and will roll out a new build later today. Our apologies for the hiccup.
It sounds similar to this:
"Looks like the problem was that Bitbucket [Cloud] was not configured to use an SSH key, and the console failed once it prompted and didn't return a username or password."
https://github.com/akonwi/git-plus/issues/74
We've added a Debug menu (turn on in the Advanced preferences) that also includes authentication logging which should help shed some light on the problem. @Manju will work with you further to isolate the problem. We appreciate your patience and report.
Brian GanningerSenior Mac Developer, Sourcetree
Hey Brian,
How do I get that same support. I keep seeing people reporting the same issue but no response yet. I have tried everything anyone has posted regarding this issue since January and then a bunch of other things!
(edited with a clarification) 2.7.2 is only available to 5% of users currently and in beta; we aren't proceeding further with the release until this is sorted out.
@Ryan Sherman There's not a side channel discussion happening, he'll reply here or ask for a ticket to gather more information.
Awesome, thank you!
This happens to me too often. Trying to finish a feature. Getting this error. Just updated to v2.7.4. It was working before the update.
This seems to be a cycle. Works, update, broken, fixed.
I move over to my Windows 10 machine, pull the updates, then do the finish on the feature and it works fine. Running v2.6.3 of SourceTree on Win10.
Of course, then I have to go back to my Mac and pull all the changes.
Hi @bgannin,
Same issue here. I'm using the version 2.7.6(177) on a Mac. I'm trying to finish a feature from git-flow menu and I get this error:
I tried to re-login to Bitbucket but no luck
I tried to restart the mac but no luck
Should I do a downgrade?
@Manju might have a suggestion on this front.
Issue is still present in 2.7.6 (177) — git flow is broken because of it.
Atlassian, please fix it already!
I've the same problem in last version of sourcetree for mac, any solution?
This has been a problem for five months now, and it's still biting me! Atlassian, where are you? We shouldn't have to use SSH just to do this basic operation!
Same problem here! and it's now September 2018
The same for me
same...
Same problem version 2.7.6 on Mac
Try change repository link format from "https://username@bitbucket.org" to "https://username:password@bitbucket.org"
It helped for me
This worked for me. Thanks.
I've been having this issue ONLY when trying to finish a feature. Just finished some testing and the problem still existed. Then I tried the solution suggested by @BUROVIC above. Which is:
However I get this warning:
To find this setting open the repository and go to Repository->Repository Settings->Remotes tab.
But this worked and I'm not so comfortable doing this.
In the past I've made my commits, moved over to my Windows machine, pulled the changes, and then done the Feature Finish.
Again, this only happened to me when finishing a feature.
If this is specific to git flow actions, I would recommend you to move this to a separate thread or submit a ticket on our public issue tracker for us to look into.
Thanks,ManjunathSourcetree Mac Developer
Same problem for me version 2.7.6 for Mac
its worked for me
Same problem for me version 2.7.6(177) for Mac
I am able to pull and push the commits but when I am trying to finish current branch, I am getting following error:
fatal: could not read Password for 'https://shivam.a.singh@bitbucket****': Device not configured
Fatal: Could not fetch feature/<branch_name> from origin.
+ 1
+ 1 same problem when I try to finish feature on Git Flow
It's six months now....Sep 20
I downgraded my sourcetree to 2.7.2 and now I can use finish feature in git-flow. I guess I'm sticking to SourceTree version 2.7.2.
Many thanks you guy. This worked perfect for me
Great, just upgraded to V 3.0.6 and get this error... how do I now work????
Going back to good old Sourcetree 1.9 --- Never liked this new version.
Older sourcetree versions: https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives
Just updated to v3.0 and now this issue is back on my desktop Mac. I never had the problem on my Windows machine. Not sure about my laptop.
Is this for a git-flow action?
Same issue, using git-flow action
I got same issue 29-10-2018, using git-flow action.
Cant even login in OAuth method...
I only get this error when finishing a git flow feature (ver: 3.0)!
you could use the following command in your terminal:
# git flow feature finish branch_name
I downgrade to version 2.7.2, it works for me
Same problem with Sourcetree 3.0 (200). Occurs when finishing a hotfix e.g.
This is a known issue with some of the git flow related actions. The team is looking into it and will address it in an upcoming release. Appreciate your kind cooperation and patience in this regard.
Same problem with Sourcetree 3.0.1 (205). Occurs when finishing a release via Git Flow.I use ssh and two factor authentication, but the remote url was set as a HTTPS format. I changed it into ssh-format like this git@bitbucket.org:<account_name>/<repo_name>.git, which solved my issue..
I'm still having this issue. version 3.1.1 it's March 2019 - How is this still a thing? lmao
I'm also on mac os x 10.14.3
Same here...Sourcetree 3.1MacOsX 10.14.4@Atlassian please fix this
This bug was introduced exactly one year ago! Still not fixed. We have to use URL with password in Repository Settings, which is very unsafe. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Is anybody in Atlassian working on that?
@bgannin , @Manju ?
Issue is still ongoing without resolution on Mac
Same issue on 3.2.1 !
Same in 3.2.1 on OSX
I am still seeing this bug and I am on Sourcetree verison 3.2.1.
Was this issue never fixed or what is the status? Would be great if someone from Atlassian could respond.
I'm still having the same issue as well ever since I changed my laptop password (AD-backed).
Nothing has changed. Don't know why they don't want to get with someone to fix this.
After asking around with other developers it was advised to me to abandon Sourcetree as it is bad software. The suggested solution is to use Fork, another cross platform app. I'm going to that. This has cost me way, way too much in lost time.
I got around the bug by switching to ssh instead.
@Jonas Altin
Are you on a Mac or Windows machine? If you are on a Mac please explain how to do this. Thanks.
I'm on a mac.
This link should explain how you can do it:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/set-up-an-ssh-key-728138079.html#SetupanSSHkey-ssh4SetupSSHwithSourcetreeonmacOS (the section that you need to look at is 'Set up SSH with Sourcetree on macOS').
Same problem today with Sourcetree 4.0
That's bad news. I got it working but have spent hours and hours trying to figure it out. I did switch to an SSH connection but had problems with that too. I went back to a regular connection. It's been working so far but not surprised to hear your report of another failure.
I've been testing the competitive application Fork. It provides more complete error messages and is helpful to sort issues out.
The issue still exists. Version 4.0 (232). It's really annoying.
Sourcetree is JUNK!!! always have issues EVERYTIME
Well here it is just a little over one month from my post above where it was all working and now it's not working again.
I've been in software development for over 20 years and once in a while a software product comes along that my peers and I would consider to be "worse than useless". This is such a product. If it were obviously useless you wouldn't waste your time but this is worse than useless because you spend so much time and get nothing for it.
It's often more important as to who you are partnering with in software development as well as the software product they've developed. This is such a case. You would think they would have pride in their product and would contact one of the developers reporting the problem to resolve it but no. They don't care and it's been over a year.
I have just gotten this error for the first time. I am running the latest version, 4.0 (232) on a Mac. Tried to finish a release.
This bug needs to be resolved.
the problem still happened, I just jenkins to deploy code on slave
/remotes/origin/*" returned status code 128:
As bug is still there, and nobody knows if Attlassian team is working on that, can anybody recommend a service similar to bitbucket / sourcetree?
I'm a Mac user and I'm thinking that maybe it's how my credentials are, or are not, getting accessed in my KeyChain. It's possible I've got that wrong or corrupted somehow. I've never had this problem on my Windows machine. What's odd is I can commit using Sourcetree but I can't finish a Release.
Anyway, it's been a couple of years, I have way too many problems, spent way too many hours, have not seen any support, and there's been no help so I switched both my git client software and my source hosting.
Rather than Sourcetree I now use Fork:
https://git-fork.com
And I now host my code on GitHub rather than Atlassian:
https://github.com
Both are different but I like them so far.
Thanks. Are these services free for commercial use?
Fork is a free and open source project. GitHub is like Atlassian in that the type of account you need will determine whether it's free or if you pay. I'm a single developer and have a free account.
.
I also just experienced this now
July 10th, 2020, Source v4.0.1 (234)
Still the same
@Atlassian still working on this?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.