Sorry for the vagueness of this question.
When I had a merge conflict, I used to get a warning dialog. At this point, opening my external diff tool (Beyond Compare 4) showed three panes, allowing a 3-way merge. This is the behaviour I want.
I made the mistake of clicking the little checkbox in the corner of the SourceTree dialog, thinking this would just get rid of the warning dialog, which really isn't necessary to see all the time. Unfortunately, this seems to have made a permanent change to the way SourceTree works. Now it automatically stages what it can and opening my diff tool shows only two panes, one of which shows the familiar text-based Git markers shown below.
Does anyone know how to go back to the original state, where a merge conflict gives a 3-way merge?
Kind wishes ~ Patrick
Markers I am now seeing when I open my external diff tool:
<<<<<<< HEAD
Console.WriteLine( FeatureSix.Name );
=======
Console.WriteLine( FeatureFive.Name );
>>>>>>> feature_five