Problem:
- Sourcetree has stopped authenticating with GitHub. I cannot push, pull, etc.
- If I try to push/pull, one of 3 various username/password dialogs appear.
- Full output shows:
git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin
Logon failed, use ctrl+c to cancel basic credential prompt.
remote: Invalid username or password.
fatal: Authentication failed for 'https://github.com/...'
What did I do before this started:
- Source Tree: No changes to SourceTree were done by me. I pushed a change this morning and all was fine. This afternoon, any push/pull prompts with the username/password dialog (which 3 different ones appear at different times).
- GitHub: No security changes, only pushes, pulls, issue edits, etc.
My Sourcetree Configuration:
- I was using OAuth authentication
- Was using System Git (according to Options dialog). I never use command-line git on this computer (I have Sourcetree
)
What Have I Tried to Fix This:
- Tried "Refresh OAuth Token". That succeeds and the Options dialog says "Authentication OK". But push/pull still has same problem.
- Tried changing to "Basic" and then "Refresh Password". My GitHub account uses MFA, so I use a GitHub "Access Token" as my password. Using that here, the Options dialog says "Login failed. Authentication failed for GitHub with username...". That very same Access Token works fine using command-line Git on my Linux computer.
- Uninstalled Sourcetree & Git and reinstalled Sourcetree. During installation, I chose "Embedded Git". Problem continues.
My Computer Configuration
- Windows 10
- Sourcetree version: 2.4.8