Hi there,
we are currently upgrading from VS2013 to VS2017. We are still using .Net 4.0. So what I have done is upgrading all our projects (desktop tools, windows services, wcf sites) and committing them to bitbucket.
At the moment we use an MSBuild task to build the whole project, which points to the following path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30.319\MSBuild.exe.
Building the complete project within a branch with the VS2013 projects works fine. But building another branch, which contains the updated projects (VS2017) does not work anymore. I see several compiler errors like:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605,5): warning MSB3245: Reference could not be resolved
error BC30002: The type "xyz" is not defined.
error BC30451: "xyz" is not declared.
I already added a new MSBuild executable, which points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\15.0\Bin after installing the build tools for Visual Studio 2017, but the project sill can't compile without errors:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605,5): warning MSB3088: File "obj\Release\Common.vbprojResolveAssemblyReference.cache" could not be read. The assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.Core, Version=15.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" could not be found.
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1605,5): warning MSB3245: Reference could not be resolved
I think the main problem here is that nearly every project has a dependency to another project. Missing references may lead compiler errors.
Compiling the project on my computer by using the Visual Studio developer console works fine. But we want to avoid installing another VS2017 on the build server (to save some money ^^).
Has anybody had the same problems? I think this is a general configuration error by me. Maybe I have to install some other MS tools or change the configuration?
I would be really glad, if someone can help me out.
Best regards,
Sebastian