My company has started using Trello, and I've encountered an issue with the Hyperlinks: parentheses.
I have a really ugly URL that I'm trying to hide behind a link, but because the linking mechanisms function off of the parentheses, the process is failing.
Example:
URL
https://jira/jira/issues/?jql=cf[12369] in ("Issues Fixed") AND filter = "ICODES Development Projects" AND issuetype in (Bug, "Test Case", "SOL Bug") AND (assignee in membersOf("Test Group") OR reporter in membersOf("Test Group")) AND project = SSDM
Note the existence of parentheses in the URL. When I try to turn this into a link, Trello fails:
[Issues](https://jira/jira/issues/?jql=cf[12369] in ("Issues Fixed") AND filter = "ICODES Development Projects" AND issuetype in (Bug, "Test Case", "SOL Bug") AND (assignee in membersOf("Test Group") OR reporter in membersOf("Test Group")) AND project = SSDM)
Gives me: Issues%20AND%20project%20%3D%20SSDM)
It appears that the double parentheses near the end are causing the link to end before I actually want it to.
Is there any way to escape the parentheses, or force the linking to continue until I want it to end?
You could escape the characters by replacing them with their hex equivalent. Just as the spaces are replaced with a %20 you can do the same with the parenthesis. If you change the ( into %28 and the ) into %29 the URL should still be valid and in turn you can eliminate those characters from the URL itself.
There is a complete chart on the ASCII to HEX character conversion that might help to understand this better in http://www.aboutmyip.com/AboutMyXApp/AsciiChart.jsp
Wow....I do that particular replacement all of the time, but then I didn't even think of doing it this time.
That worked, and the links now work. It's not very "pretty" of a solution, as we have to manually edit the copied links each time, but it's working, so I'll be happy.
Thank you, Andrew!
~Aaron
This just helped me out tremendously when I didn't understand why a mailto link I had made was not working properly. Thank you!!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.