I noticed that the editor available for Articles in community.atlassian.com has specific and limited editor functions. What is the best way to add tables to an article? What should be the recommended width of the images pasted? (I tried 520px wide)
Hi Fabian,
The Community editor supports HTML, so I would recommend using HTML to insert tables. If you aren't already familiar with this, have a look at this article: HTML Tables.
I recommend not posting an image wider than the article content width. The width of the images on this article is 539px.
I hope that helps but do let us know if you have any further questions!
Regards,
Shannon
hi, i'm copying a table from Confluence into a Community article. The markup tables aren't translating well, so I'm going to have to rebuild them in html. It doesn't seem to work. A simple table like this just shows up as the entered text, no formatting is applied. I also tried adding an <html>..</html> wrapper with no effect.
Hi Max,
I suspect you might be entering it in the text box, but you don't have an option to use HTML until you go in and edit an existing comment.
I just did that with your comment above, removing the example HTML code and clicking the HTML tab. If you click the ... next to your reply and edit, you'll see what I did.
Can you tell me now if it looks the way you expect?
@Shannon S I checked on the page you mentioned but the images are broken...
Hi @Shannon S , thanks for the help. It should look like a table, although since I didn't put any border in there specifically i suppose it looks right. I would expect a border by default, though it's been a while since i hand-coded HTML tables.
But my initial post, which was in a comment, wasn't about tables in comments, it's about tables in Community articles. The editor seems extremely limited. Why isn't it just the existing Confluence editor? Why go and build a third editor experience? (Confluence and Jira being the other two.)
When i paste the table from confluence, it does appear partially, although the header is extracted as plain text. The regular rows appear to be mostly correct. But the editor itself throws an error when saving, that the HTML is invalid, and i can't save it without removing the table altogether.
FWIW the table I'm copying over from Confluence is built with Confluence Markup and the pipe-style tables (which i like).
thanks
max
@Max Cascone @The Community environment is based on Lithium
Hi, thanks for the reply, I don't know what that means, can you elaborate? (also thanks for being active in your own almost-two-year-old thread!)
Fabian,
Thank you for sharing that. When I first sent this article in January 2018 the images were not broken, so it's possible they've been removed in the 1.5 years since then.
@Bridget any idea on what happened to the images in your article?
Max,
I can elaborate. Lithium is another product, not created by Atlassian. For more details:
https://www.lithium.com/products/online-communities/forums
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.