I've found the documentation, here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/setting-up-plan-build-dependencies-289276887.html
I am hoping to understand exactly what criteria are used to decide when to add or remove build plan dependencies.
I have many instances of build plans where my understanding of the system indicates that there should be a dependency, but there is none listed on the Dependencies tab in the plan config, and many instances of build plans where my understanding indicates there should be no dependency, but one exists. Furthermore, sometimes a build is triggered as a result of another build as if a dependency were present, but none is.
We have dozens of shared libraries, many of which have dependencies on other libraries, and dozens of services using these libraries. All of these are built with Bamboo and Maven 3. All have the Dependency Check task configured and the checkbox checked as described in the documentation.
As noted in the subject, I'm looking for a thorough explanation. But I also have some specific questions:
- Am I correct in assuming that the dependencies which are badged "GENERATED" and are not manually deletable are the ones created by this functionality?
- Is the "Maven Dependencies Processor" task execution the event at which dependencies are updated? Does it produce any output in the build log such that I could see this happening?
- Does the processor account for version numbers? (Evidence suggests it does not)
- Does behavior differ for snapshots vs releases? (Evidence suggests it does)
If it makes a difference, we are using the locally hosted variety of Bamboo. We're currently on version 5.13.2 and are actively investigating an upgrade to 6.x.
Thanks!