Problem:
I would like to have instant access to the "git describe" description of a commit. When we have a compiled build, it's how we identify the associated source.
For those unfamiliar, it returns (for example): "v1.01-14-g1234abcd", in the format of {Closest Tag}-{Distance from Tag}-g{Hash}.
What I've tried:
I've tried adding a custom action, for script to run: "git", parameters: "describe --long --tags --always $SHA"
However, this opens a command line window that instantly closes. I'm sure I can work around that with a bash script, but it's really not the easy access I'm looking for.
Ideal:
Is there a way to add a new column in the Log/History viewer (with Graph, Descripton, Date, etc.) where it could show the result of the "git describe --long --tags --always $SHA" command?
Less ideal but good:
Can a custom command appear inside any docked window automatically?
Is there a way to make the "Custom Action" just post a return string in Sourcetree without launching a separate window? Even if "Show Full Output" is on, Sourectree just lists the command and adds "Completed successfully."