Hi There,
I have just added in the Custom Fields power-up for Trello and I need a way of searching by these custom fields. Is there a way of doing this?
Hey Alex
Currently, Custom Fields are not searchable. They will, however, be included in export reports of the board.
You can let the team know of your interest in searching custom fields by sending a feature request to feature-ideas@trello.com
Appears that Trello Development Roadmap doesn't go beyond December '17. Is there a new development roadmap for Trello available somewhere in the Atlassian universe?
Custom Fields has been included in the Trello APi recently. Is there a plan to make them searchable now? It would be very great!
I agree !!
Use Filters instead of search
I agree, searching and/or filtering by custom fields is an absolute necessity. I am using custom fields for item priority and project associations, and because of the number of items I need to use I am unable to use labels for them. This power-up is almost useless without any search or filter capabilities.
The Screenful Power-Up allows grouping and filtering based on custom fields. You can learn more at https://screenful.com/trello/custom-fields/
@Matthew N How do you filter by custom fields? Looks like you can only filter by "term or search for labels, members, or due times."
As Matthew N hinted, the Filter search will search custom fields. Show Menu > Filter Cards, then type the custom field value you want to search for. For example, a custom field called "Frobnosticator" that populates from a list. Typing the selected value ("Bob") from the list in the Filter search will filter the cards to show the ones where Frobnosticator is Bob. It will probably also match card names containing "Bob" .. so it would be nicer if the filter would let you do Frobnosticator: Bob ... but, it doesn't (I tried it and got the same results as just filtering on Bob).
Or, just take it from Trello:
Filtering: Board filtering now supports text, drop down list, and checkbox fields, and will surface cards that have fields that match filtered terms.
Seems to have disappeared.
They changed the name, now it's Show Menu > Search Cards
It seems this still hasn't been fixed?
I was just getting excited about the possibilities of custom fields + butler reports solving some needs for us, and discovered the custom fields aren't searchable. Seeing that this thread is over three years old, I'm assuming no one cares?
I vote for the feature of advanced search/filter functionality that allows addressing specific custom fields according to their types (number, date, dropbox, multi-value list, etc.) and attachment (file types, size, etc.).
Also, it would be great to use some search language that includes AND, OR, BETWEEN, <, <=, >, >=, ==, !=, ! (not) operators.
I just tested it with a custom field set to number. It is searchable if you use the search cards command in the menu.
It doesn't seem the card search can properly find values with spaces in them. If the value is absent, like for instance there is no "Factor 9" in a board, but there is a "Factor 10", then a search for the former will display cards with the latter. If both values are present, both will display, no matter if you use quotes or not.I'd say this is a broken search, albeit not unique to Custom fields.Trello doesn't seem interested in advancing search. I might abandon it for it. On the other hand you can't export data in any fully usable way (missing data as far as I can see), so they got me trapped.
I think it still just searches for the value though eg search for any card that has the number 4 anywhere in the card, rather than a value specific to the field eg search for cards where value in {fieldname} = 4
After further testing, in fact you can search by custom field content...just use {{%fieldname}}=searchtext
you can search by custom field content...just use {{%fieldname}}=searchtext
would be nice if that were documented somewhere. preferably on the details for the powerup
Note that this only works in search cards. It doesn't work in the Go to search field where a lot of tagged searches can be done. I don't see a way to save this search either. This split search/filter functionality is kinda odd.
Yeah great, however, I'm not going to pay $468 per year just to able to search on custom fields. I would if I needed his for a multi-million dollar operation.
How can this not have been fixed yet?
Create an Advanced search where you easily can search on custom fields (without having to write "{{%fieldname}}=searchtext").It should be possible to add "AND and OR".It must be possible to save your search.
Hey guys,
I was able to filter custom fields by using Placker power-up. It works really well, like Trello should.
Fantastic. Checking out the 4 power-ups from Placker seems to indicate it's like adding a rocket engine in order to turn left. You don't state which you used neither, nor where you do the filtering done.Trello should work well, I agree. Does it?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.