Most Git users on Windows are probably using Git for Windows.
https://git-for-windows.github.io/
That great application is built upon the Git for Windows SDK. Optionally, instead of just installing Git for Windows, one may install the Git for Windows SDK, which also provides the MSYS2+MinGW Linux build environment integrated with Windows.
https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/releases/latest
It seems that when installing SourceTree, it now has trouble finding or recognizing how to use Git when it is located in an install of the Git for Windows SDK. (This did not seem to be a problem in the past. I've been using the older versions of SourceTree with the GfW SDK for a very long while before now.)
I have two related questions about getting the new SourceTree to properly use Git from the Git for Windows SDK.
1) Sometimes during installation SourceTree admits it doesn't recognize where Git is on the system. So it asks where it is. The proper response is not clear. Even supposing it wants to know where git.exe is, which of the following possibilities might be the one most appropriate for SourceTree's need?
C:\git-sdk-64\cmd\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\mingw64\bin\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\mingw64\libexec\git-core\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\usr\bin\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\usr\lib\git-core\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\usr\src\git\git.exe
2) Since I had been observing fragile behavior and failures on startup for the new SourceTree, I thought I would try making a different selection than I did previously. However, at the moment, after the latest reinstall of SourceTree, it seems to just assume I'm using system Git that is "LibGit2Sharp" (an interface to libgit2 for Visual Studio .NET)! I see no way to tell it that I want to point it to a different location of Git. Is there any way at all in the SourceTree Tools / Options for Git to say, "Let me point you to Git"? I see only the options of Embedded or else the choice it's made of LibGit2Sharp.
p.s. I'm trying to use SourceTreeSetup-2.3.1.0.exe, which I downloaded fresh from https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/ just to be sure it was the very latest.
p.p.s. Regarding my first question, I will point out that the git.exe applications in these two locations are currently binary identical.
C:\git-sdk-64\mingw64\bin\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\mingw64\libexec\git-core\git.exe
Likewise, these two applications are also binary identical with each other (but different from the previous two).
C:\git-sdk-64\usr\bin\git.exe
C:\git-sdk-64\usr\lib\git-core\git.exe
(The other two applications in the list of six are each unique.
C:\git-sdk-64\cmd\git.exe is by far the smallest and
C:\git-sdk-64\usr\src\git\git.exe is by far the largest.)
Yet, even if two choices are identical files, I do not know whether or not there are unexpected ramifications of choosing one or the other. As far as I know, even when two copies of an application are identical, there still might be different implications for choosing one or the other, for example, if SourceTree expects certain other files to be present in the same directory as the git.exe application it wants to know about.