Has anyone found a way to force Trello URLs to Default to Desktop App? E.G. When you’re in email, or Slack, and you click on a Trello link, it would open in the Trello app vs the browser default
This is really disappointing to see this question/feedback was asked in 2017, and by the 2020 year there was no progress about this case.
Hi Matt,
This isn't currently possible, but would definitely be nice, I agree! I'll pass the message on to our developers!
This is a potential show stopper for using the Trello desktop app. I've been using the app for a few days now, but you don't make it easy for me when these links still send me back to the browser all the time.
This feature would be much appreciated!
The desktop app is rendered useless because I receive Trello links from team members via Slack and they only open in the browser.
Same here. This is a feature that would really make the difference to use the Trello app.
At least using the URL, searching for it in the app and finding it would help!
+1
+1 (btw paws for trello the former trello.app for mac was able to do this via a chrome extension)
+1, I signed up here just to vote on this!
Bump. +1. it's been almost 4 months since this was posted. Would really love to use the desktop app but really can't. Should have been part of the MVP.
+1 Also signed up to vote for this
+1 Halting use of the desktop app until this is added. Which sucks since the separation of Trello and Chrome is way better for alt-tabbing. Plus all the other benefits of the desktop app that Trello came up with when they decided to build it.
+1 I need this as well
+1 seriously
+10000
+1, it's a must
+1, as a dev facing a similar problem, also curious how you end up solving it (which hopefully happens soon )
I know it's kinda old, but have a look at AutoHotKey.
This is the script I am using. I right click, copy link on every slack link. The script checks for https://trello.com in the clipboard and if it finds it then it activates the trello application and CtrlAltV (paste and go) the link. That gets you to the card you want, within the application.
#SingleInstance force#WinActivateForce#PersistentOnClipboardChange("ClipChanged")returnClipChanged(Type) {copyOfClip = %clipboard%var1 := "https://trello.com"foundPos := InStr(copyOfClip,var1)if (foundPos >0){Processname=Trello.exeProcess, Exist, %Processname%If !ErrorLevel{return}pid := ErrorLevelWinActivate, % "ahk_pid " pidSleep, 50Send {Ctrl down}{Alt down}vSleep, 50Send {Ctrl up}{Alt up}}}
Hope it helps.
Definitely would be a help. Otherwise, what's the point of using the desktop app? In the meantime is there any workaround for non-programmers?
Reviewed the (`asr`) code-base. To open a Trello link with the (Mac) Trello Desktop App do the following:
`https://trello.com/...` => `trello://trello.com/...`
Change the `http` or `https` => `trello` for any short or long Trello card/board link.
enjoy 🎉
I confirm this works!!
This was actually pretty easy to setup and works!!
Simply download AutoHotKey then:
After that double click on the file on your desktop and it's on!
Hi, thanks, but this solution fits only for windows, may be you know the same for mac?
I don't, sorry.
+1 but I don't think it will happen as it passed 3 years already since this post
Thanks to this answer I thought about using the Redirector chrome extension with this.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/redirector/ocgpenflpmgnfapjedencafcfakcekcdMy rule looks like this, feel free to save as json and Import (or just copy paste from within):
{ "createdBy": "Redirector v3.5.3", "createdAt": "2020-08-17T02:24:22.784Z", "redirects": [ { "description": "Trello to Trello app", "exampleUrl": "https://trello.com/b/hb2G23rR/sprint-2-5-mvp-4-aug-17-aug", "exampleResult": "trello://trello.com/b/hb2G23rR/sprint-2-5-mvp-4-aug-17-aug", "error": null, "includePattern": "https://trello.com/*", "excludePattern": "", "patternDesc": "Trello to Trello app", "redirectUrl": "trello://trello.com/$1", "patternType": "W", "processMatches": "noProcessing", "disabled": false, "grouped": false, "appliesTo": [
Thank you very much for this, @Janson Chah – it works!
I’m using it now with Redirector for Firefox
Anyone successful using Redirector on Win10 Firefox want to share how they did it?
I was able to get the add-on, set the rule, but Firefox lands at "Problem loading" page that says, "This address wasn't understood" now when attempting to open any Trello link, instead of resolving properly. The error page also says, "You might need to install other software to open this address."
Does Firefox...simply refuse to allow another app to open via URL?
Exceptions at least include Zoom, but Firefox options show a particular protocol for Zoom; I'm unable to add any manually.
Seriously, this bug has STILL not been fixed?
Speaks volumes...
Welcome to the glacial world of Trello / Atlassian responding to customer needs!
Thank you. Do we have a workaround for emails? Like for summary emails that would link the trello card to a specific item. trello://trello.com/... is not being recognized as a link
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.