Today, I finally gave up on SourceTree for Windows for both work and at home. I felt obligated to state the reasons why, because I know that if I were in Atlassian's shoes, I would like to have a thoughtful explanation of what makes a user come or go.
I am certain it is within Atlassian's capability to fix these problems and hopefully bring me back!
- Whatever asynchonous file detection change that was made a few months ago to SourceTree is the deal breaker. We get partial change detections, with no feedback saying that it is still finding all the changes. Restarting SourceTree after each operation became our workflow...
- We get non-stop log in requests. It will always ask you twice, regardless of whether your credentials are correct. We were still able to push and pull, so it seemed pointless. Our solution is to leave SourceTree closed until we really need it.
- Lack of "real" progress bars. I understand sometimes Git doesn't provide feedback, so I can't propose a solution, but, we found out the hard way that SourceTree wasn't successfully pulling a LFS repository. We kept it running overnight on two computers thinking it was hopefully doing something... it wasn't. We contacted support, and they told us to reinstall everything, the classic "turn it off and back on" solution.
- The above issue led us to try to get a "clean install" of SourceTree and anything related to Git. Reinstalling over itself didn't seem to resolve it, so we tried uninstalling first, but that didn't work either. We found out that the uninstaller of SourceTree removes very little. There were all sorts of left over files, far beyond some random settings files one may expect. We had effectively had to manually uninstall, which was frustrating, but did solve the issue ultimately.
- Each time we update, at least recently, it puts us through the setup wizard like it was the first time we ever installed, even asking us to pick our first repository. I always hit "skip" once I get to that point, but it always made me scratch my head. Not a dealbreaker, but an "easy win."
You haven't lost us completely, we still use BitBucket!
Thanks!