I noticed in JIRA you can create a remote git branch for your BitBucket repository. I did this, however, I don't fully understand why I would want to do it.
For example, now when I return to my local source code and try to check out the remote branch I get a warning about having a detached head:
You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
So does this mean I'll have troubles committing my changes to the branch and merging to master?
I can also checkout the remote branch under a different local name. JetBrain's IDE had this option. But here again, I'm not sure if this will cause problems committing and merging.
I'm coming from GitHub where I'm used to just creating my branches on local, committing them, pushing them, and then merging with master on GitHub.com.
What's the benefit to creating the remote branch? What's the workflow?