I am often creating patches from commits in one project (in git repo A) and needing to apply them on another forked project (in git repo
. For various reasons I keep these projects quite separate and do not share remotes between the two, even though they have a similar codebase.
Whenever I want to generate a patch from git repo A, SourceTree picks the root directory of git repo A as the default destination directory for that patch. When I want to apply the patch in git repo B, I have to navigate to git repo A's directory and find the patch there, which takes time. Instead, I'd like both projects to remember my preferred location where I store patch files (usually just some temporary directory that I clean out regularly).
I also don't like how, by default, SourceTree chooses a patch file location that would clutter my repository. I would never actually commit a patch file to my repo, so why does it choose my repo's directory as the default directory for storing such a file? At the very least I think my Desktop folder would be a better choice.