I can't start Crowd from a system user. I have to use the root user.
I've followed the instructions here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD027/Setting+Crowd+to+Run+Automatically+and+Use+an+Unprivileged+System+User+on+UNIX
but it doesn't actually start when I type ./start_crowd.sh as a system user.
If I'm not logged in as root, when I type ./start_crowd.sh, it LOOKS like it starts:
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/myacct/apps/crowd-install-2.12/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/myacct/apps/crowd-install-2.12/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/myacct/apps/crowd-install-2.12/apache-tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.131-0.b11.el6_9.x86_64
Using CLASSPATH: /home/myacct/apps/crowd-install-2.12/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/myacct/apps/crowd-install-2.12/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /home/myacct/apps/crowd-install-2.12/apache-tomcat/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.
... but if I then type
ps faux | grep java
there's nothing listed, and Crowd doesn't respond when I try to load it in the browser.
If I run ./start_crowd.sh as root, then run ps faux | grep java , I DO see it in the output, and I can access it from the browser.
What can I check or try to get Crowd to run from a user that's not root?
((By the way, I accidentally hit Tab while typing this and ended up on the previous page, having lost everything I'd typed. Can you add a "sure you want to leave this page?" prompt so people don't lose their questions?)