I am able to merge from the tip of a branch but do not see an option to merge from a tag. Is this possible within SourceTree?
Are you wanting to merge the entirety of a branch up to a tagged commit, or just the single commit?
To "merge" just the one commit, you want to right click the commit (no tag necessary) and "Cherry pick" it.
To merge a branch up to a tag that isn't the latest commit in that branch, you'll need to create a new branch on that commit, then merge with the new branch.
Tags are just named commits. There is really nothing you can do with them that you can't do with a commit hash.
Yes, I want to merge the entirety of a branch up to a tagged commit. Using the Git command-line I can do this in one step (i.e. git merge <tag>) so I was expecting a way to do this in one step using SourceTree withouth having to create a new branch.
I will consider submitting an enhancement request for this functionality to be added to SourceTree
Well since I typically merge from a tag on a different branch (not the one I have checked out), I need to be able to display the history & tags of the other branch to be able to right-lick it, but that does not appear to be possible in SourceTree
Looks like you may be able to right-click any commit in the graph and choose "Merge...". I haven't tried this myself, so I don't know what to expect.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.