If I'm hosting my own bare git repo, I can go into it and run the following command to make the 'develop' branch get checked out by default when cloning:
$ git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/develop
Unfortunately, when I go into the fisheye bare repo (I'm running it on Linux) and do the same thing, 'master' still gets checked out by default when I clone. I've also tried the various types of re-indexing after doing so, but it doesn't work.
I actually got this to work once briefly, but I was so frustrated at that point that I don't really know which steps caused this to happen, and I can't reproduce it.
I've also tried 'git remote set-head origin develop' from the client and then pushing, but that doesn't seem to help. It's one of the things I did the time that it worked, though.
I'm running Fisheye 2.7.8, and I'm using a repo I created myself (carefully converting from subversion) and am pushing (with --mirror) up to a bare Fisheye-managed repo.