Will sourcetree add a function that user can track each file's history revision,like tortoise hg in windows?It's useful when focusing some files's change!
This feature is already available - right-click on any file and select 'Log Selected'
Thanks Steve - that works great for my local repo, is there a similar feature to view the history of a file/folder on the remote repo?
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/114551/view-the-file-history-in-the-remote-repository
I wish there is a feature to view a specific file of my choice but my colleague told me a hack. I put a space on the file I wish to see the file revision. It then shows up in the sourcetree.
That really isn't necessary. When you go to Working Copy you can filter which files are shown. By default it is only the pending files but when you switch it to Show All you will see all the files under version control.
This is how I do it:
- go to Working Copy (at the top left)
- change the file filter from Pending to "All files"
- then either browse your repository or just type part of the file name in the filter text edit field at the top right. That filter works great as a way to drill down quickly on the file you are looking for.
- When you have found the file you want to know the history of: right click and select "Log Selected...", et vôila! :-)
The resulting list shows the dates the files was changed, who made the change, their commit comments, and of course a detailed breakdown of the exact changes.
Hope this helps.
Erik
This doesn't work if the file you want to see doesn't exist in the current branch.
It's dreamy!
How about "show history" instead of "log selected" which means absolutely nothing to anyone who uses the product. I just spent way too long trying to figure out something that should be basic to the program because of ,IMO, poor naming convention. I hope you consider changing it to prevent future grief.
Yup, 15 mins wasted here as well:)
"Log" is the correct term, if you know the Git commands. https://git-scm.com/docs/git-log
How about 'Show git log...'. (I don't think the "selected" adds anything - it's a context menu - I know it applies to the selected item, by <universal user interface conventions>)
Thank you for this detailed explanation – I would not have found it without the first couple of steps you described!
The UI may have changed a bit since you wrote this. For me, in SourceTree v2.2.4 (for Mac OSX), the first step was:
It's funny, I actually don't follow my own advice anymore. These days I do it as follows instead:
My other approach seems a bit overly complicated. Or is there a difference between the two I'm missing now?
Thanks,
SourceTree can list all files in workspace and you can right-click on any file and select ‘Log Selected'. As @Erik van der Neut said
To me it seems like making a change to a file so that it shows up in the list, then remembering to revert that change later (without getting it mixed in with other changes), is a bit more complicated. But I supposed it's easy enough to tell whether a change is insignificant (and it doesn't matter if you forget to revert it). Anyway, to each his own.
I agree, navigating to a file should be easier!!!See how P4 did it
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.