I'm trying to connect to our git respository using SourceTree. I've not managed it yet and I believe the issue is with the type of public/private keys. Here is what I've done so far to try to resolve this issue.
1) Using Puttygen generated SSH public/private key pair
2) Loaded the key into pageant which is supposed to run in the background I thought
3) In tools/options gave the path to my ssh private key for putty
3) Attempt to clone the repository using an ssh://path - however i get an access denied error. It keeps expecting the password for the 'banner' account. It should not I assume if the keys are working correctly. I also verified that i can directly login to the git via putty itself using the banner account and it does NOT ask me for a password.
So I dig some digging around and found some reference to using an OpenSSH key structure instead. So I did the following:
1) dumped all my old keys
2) using puttygen created new keys and copied/pasted the openSSH public key off and sent to my dba
3) verified that i could login via putty itself using the new openssh key structure
4) tried to load the open ssh private key into pageant(which is not allowed apparently)
4) in tools/options gave the path to my open ssh private key for the openssh option
4) Attempt to clone the respository using an ssh://path - it told me I had to use a different URL or switch to SSH basically
So I'm confused on exactly what TYPE of keys I should be generating and what Sourcetree is expecting.
I feel like I'm just so close and if i can resolve the keys/connection within Sourcetree I'd be able to make my connection.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stephanie