How can I do the command git fetch origin master:master within SourceTree? I need the complete command and not only a git fetch or git fetch origin or git fetch origin master...
Update: I opened a feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-3058
This level of detail is not possible with the SourceTree UI. You can create a feature request for this at http://jira.atlassian.com (post the link in a comment so others can vote for it.)
But the UI has a "fetch" command button. Why can't someone add the branch names there? Where can I request this as a feature?
Edited the answer to contain that info.
What's the difference between "git fetch origin master" and "git fetch origin master:master"?
Don't know, but only master:master worked for me. I wanted to update the master branch without changing into it.
BTW what is wrong with fetching all the other branches as well? It has no harmful effect to your local branches or your workspace. (The only thing it does is update all the origin/* references.)
I think the reason for the "git fetch origin master" not working is that there is no tracking relationship between the local master and the origin/master.
Hold up, in that feature request you're talking about Pulling branches. Fetch and Pull are very different. Fetch updates the data your repository has about the remote repo, Pull updates your local branches to match the remote.
Also, there is no way to pull into any other branch than the current. (But I think you mean fetch, not pull.)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.