Can I send a notification when a Bamboo build starts? It seems all the notification options are tailored to when the build completes or fails.
what is triggering the build? Manual or automatic process?
Currently set up as a manual process because the plan is not fully operational yet, but will be looking to move to an automated process once the plan is stable.
One thought would be to notify on the first job completing - while Plan notifications support jobs, it's job failures and/or change of status, so that wouldn't help.
I can think of two options:
1) Put a script step in there and run a shell/vbs script (depending on your OS) that sends an smtp email to an address. If you google, you can find dozens of vbs scripts that will send an email, for instance. The advantage of this option is you can customize the email contents.
2) It's kludgey, but you could tie two jobs together - the "real" job could be the child and an empty parent job could be what you kick off and provides the notification (that job #2 is starting). The advantage of this option is your email stays in the Bamboo Notification framework - nice html email, nice choices of recipients. The biggest disadvantage I can think of is you can't really customize the contents of the email. You'd have to name the plan something like "Plan #2 is starting", so its more obvious to the recipients what is occurring
I can see pro's and con's to both; I would go with option #1 to be honest. Find a nice smtp email script and you could customize the content in an plan arguement I bet. You could include several variables from the plan and punch up the content.
Thanks for the suggestion Kelly. I was able to send an email when the build starts by using an inline script task.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.