I'm experiencing an odd issue with windows 7, pageant and sourcetree.
Our company uses both our own git server and Github. We use different private keys for each.
On Machine A I run pageant at system startup loading both keys. Machine A can push/fetch both to our git server and github from sourcetree, the git bash, cmd etc...
On Machine B I run pageant at system startup loading both keys. Machine B can push/fetch both to our git server and github from the git bash, cmd, etc... but NOT from sourcetree.
Machine B's sourcetree installation is giving me this error when trying to fetch from the git server
git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch --prune origin
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied
FATAL ERROR: Server sent disconnect message
type 2 (protocol error):
"Too many authentication failures for git"
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
Completed with errors, see above.
when trying to fetch from Github, I am first asked if I want to Launch SSH Agent (which is already running). If I say Yes, it asks me if I want to load a key. If I say yes I'm prompted which key (I load my github key) and then Pageant reports it is already running and refuses the key as it's already loaded. If I say no, Pageant reports it is already running. I then get this error.
git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch --prune origin
FATAL ERROR: Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
Completed with errors, see above.
If I close pageant and start it manually from Sourcetree, loading the specific key, I am able to push/fetch to either our git server our github without any issue. But only one at a time. If I want to switch repos then I'm forced to close pageant, clear the key from Sourcetree's settings and load the other key.
Both systems point to the same plinks and git installations. The keys are not in %HOME%\.ssh