We've started a new practice of naming our developer branches in git with <inititals>/<branch_name>. So I might have CC/adding_feature_X. The nice thing is this will group all of my branches in a folder and not pollute the branch space for other developers. They just close the reveal arrow and all of my branches are hidden behind a folder named CC. This promotes the good practice of pushing branches up to the remote to avoid hard drive failure.
Since we've started doing this I've noticed that I'm often not viewing the branch I think I'm viewing. SourceTree doesn't actually switch branches, but it is as if I clicked on that other branch to view it's graph view. This is really annoying.
I think I've tracked it down to the following:
> CC
\__ adding_feature_X
_ development
_ master
_ release
If the CC folder is expanded to show my adding feature branch but I highlight master after a few seconds it hops to highlighting development. I think if I do a Refresh it will always jump after that so it might be that it just jumps when SourceTree polls and refreshes in the background. However, if I close the folder it doesn't seem to hop around.
Does anyone else see this?
We really like tidying up our branches and grouping them this way. I'm not sure if anyone has drawbacks for this kind of practice but this behavior is really annoying when you're trying to analyze the commit graph and comments.
thanks,
chuck