Hi all,
We're long time Jira users (nearly 10 years!) and GreenHopper for the past 3 or 4.
We're migrating our source control over to Git from SVN, and would like to make code review part of our standard development process.
We've been looking at Crucible (with SVN) for a while now, and ran a pilot project that saw some success with a 3 person team. We were thinking of purchasing a license for Crucible/Fisheye, but the release of Stash and the direction that Atlassian seems to be going with Stash has caused some confusion.
Here's my read of the situation:
- Fisheye/Crucible will still work with Git in the future for searching/browsing source code and doing code reviews. Fisheye will drop the Git repo mgmt features (create new repo, etc.)
- Stash provides "lightweight" code reviews via "pull requests", similar to how GitHub works.
- Stash provides source code browsing functionality
- Stash provides repo mgmt functionality, as well as LDAP integration with AD
Is this correct?
Now, for us:
- I don't really care too much about the Stash Git repo mgmt features. All our developers are trusted would have admin access anyways, so the ability to restrict access on a branch doesn't really buy us much. The web UI for creating repos is nice, but creating a repo "by hand" isn't that difficult. Am I missing anything here?
- Crucible's code review functionality worked fairly well. We never saw massive uptake in it, but I suspect these are for cultural reasons that I hope we can change. Stash's "lightweight" code review looked like it would meet our needs, but I'm always concerned when I hear "lightweight" as I wonder which critical features (that will only appear once we've used it for a month) show up missing.
Given these two points, I'm leaning towards purchasing Fisheye/Crucible. However, I can't shake the nagging feeling that the recent Git deprecation in Fisheye is a sign of future things to come, as more Git functionality gets added to Stash, and Fisheye/Crucible stays stuck in the centralized SVN world.
Can anyone provide any guidance here? What are other organizations doing? Are there any development case studies showcasing how Stash is being used in the Real World™?